Differences Between www and no www on the URL

Discussion in 'SEO, Traffic and Revenue' started by SimplySidy, Jun 24, 2013.

1. SimplySidy

SimplySidy Website Consultant, Developer and Strategist

Hi

I was reading this thread - Cerberus SEO 101 Guide - Search Engine Opitmization
    http://admin-talk.com/threads/cerberus-seo-101-guide-search-engine-opitmization.4012/

wherein the OP mentioned that the URLs can be re-written for allowing use of www or no www.

I could not make out how far that would be good. I mean, what difference does it make if I have a site that opens via - www.xyz.com or xyz.com. Yes, there might be some SEO factors involved. Is there anything I am missing out on this? Would be glad if anyone can explain the use and good.

2. Sylvain

Sylvain Regular Member

I also want to know.....

3. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

The point of choosing is to eliminate duplicate content. Also, it stops cookie problems that can and will eventually occur in people's browsers. But, the main reason is no duplicate content. It lends more value to your content

Brandon likes this.
  4. Sylvain

Sylvain Regular Member

Without the www ???

5. Code Monkey

Code Monkey Regular Member

the www is banned on my sites. There is no point in having a sub-directory for my sites. Either way you choose it is good practice to use .htaccess to prevent one or the other. Otherwise it can be a duplicate content issue. You can tell google which one you want them to use as well.

6. SimplySidy

That is what was mentioned on the thread too but from what I know, the content or the duplicate content is resident on the pages - isn't it?.

7. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Exactly...
    Google and other search engines will take the www and non-www and two separate sites.
    With that said, you can define this in your google webmaster tools, but I like to make things easy and just define it myself on my URL's.

8. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

As far as I can tell, there's no difference between WWW and no WWW, as long as you make sure to only use one address and redirect the other address to the primary one (to get rid of duplicate content).

Doesn't really matter which one you choose, just make it so the one you're not using redirects to the primary one.

Brandon likes this.
  9. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

I am partial to no WWW because it makes URL look shorter LOL ..

Brandon likes this.
  10. SimplySidy

OMG!. I had no idea about this. I am thankful to the OP of that discussion and also all of you dear people who have responded above and clarified my doubts. I am going to make the www.mywebsitename.com fixed now just to avoid the further complications. Maybe I should edit it in the .htaccess for ease and also update the same on Google Webmasters. (maybe I might need to know how to set this on Google Webmasters).

11. bosconian

bosconian Regular Member

I wasn't aware that Google treated the www and no-www versions as two separated sites. I prefer the sites without www, it looks better in my opinion, that's why I always redirect www to the main domain.