dBSEO Questions

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by SatGuyScott, May 15, 2014.

1. SatGuyScott

SatGuyScott Regular Member

Yesterday I posted this at vBulletin.org and it only got one response. Maybe I will get a better response here... Or Maybe not. :)

I have a few questions about dBSEO...

I am not sure if I should install / buy this product or switch away from vBulletin. I am running vBulletin 4.2.2 on powerhouse NGINX server. Current PHP is 5.3.28. Our server OS is Gentoo. With 1,500 people online our server load avg is 0.38. (When we ran vbSEO our server load on the same server was avg 1.90)

I use to use vBSEO, but removed it due to a few security issues and lack of support. When we did that our traffic took about a 30% a hit.

Using vBulletin 4's Mod ReWrite URL's format traffic has slowly crawled back up.

Then about a month ago, something happened... overnight traffic was cut in half, ad revenue was cut by 60%.

I am not sure what happened... was I hit by a Panda or something?

Anyways now I am struggling to get my traffic back up to where it was and get my ad revenue back up as well.

The current state of vBulletin does not have me excited about the product. With the way vBulletin 5 is no there is no way I will move to vBulletin 5. So now I am considering switching away from vBulletin to Xenforo, but before I make that move I am looking to throw a Hail Mary and am wondering is this mod will help me or not.

Some questions...

1) For people who installed this mod or purchased the product, has it really helped your site?
    2) Has it helped increase your advertising revenue
    3) is NGINX supported? Does it have any issues with NGINX to be concerned about?
    4) How much of a load does it put on your server?
    5) Did it slow your site down at all?
    6) Besides being on an NGINX server is there anything else I should know before installing / buying this product.
    7) If you installed this product... and thinking about before you installed it... knowing what you know now about it would you install it again?

Thanks everyone!

2. Jaymsgq

Jaymsgq Regular Member

A add-on like dbSEO is one part of your ranking, there are so many other factors contribute to your Google rankings. If there was a climb in traffic after it went down and again a big drop then most probably it is not related to your forum product or a addon like vbSEO/dbSEO. I will do a site analysis see what has changed since there? are you aggregrator of links or does your site have original content ? do some SEO analysis before you look into a product. Digitalforum has posted a very good thread on their traffic increase & performance after moving to xenforo.

Goodluck!

3. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

Move away from vBulletin. Its a dying software. That mod isn't going to save you.

jmurrayhead and Big al like this.