Custom Profile Fields

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Nick, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

What custom profile fields (if any) do you add to your forums? Do you implement any of these into the postbit?

I like adding custom fields and showing them in the postbit. In my Linnie forum we probably have 5+ fields.

One of my favorites to use is "First Name". We have that field here but I've been wondering if we should add it to the postbit. What are your thoughts?

2. Lynne

Lynne Regular Member

I've added others like Name, Gender, Favorite Bands, but they only show on the profile page.

3. dee4life

dee4life Regular Member

I have real name, gamercard and PSN.

4. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

On my ice cream forum I've added such custom fields as Favorite Flavor, Favorite Brand, and Favorite Ice Cream Parlor, but I don't show them in the postbit.

5. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

"Real" or "First" name is one that I always add. On music related ones, I use favorite bands. :)

6. torque

torque Regular Member

Running my sport website i currently have profile fields for favorite sport, favorite team and favorite player - all of which appears in my postbit (legacy) so people can show their true colors.

7. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    I love custom profile fields. I always add ones directly related to the niche of my forum. I'll usually show some of them in the postbit, too, but not always. Name is one that I have never had before AA, but gender I had in the postbit on my largest forum.

8. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I love implementing custom profile fields. It not only adds "variety" to a member's profile, but it's an excellent way of getting to know more about your memberbase (depending on what the custom profile field(s) is/are related to).

9. The Cadet

The Cadet Adept

First Name:
    Jonah
    I have the "bbcode" profile field; it'll wrap a user's post in the bbcode displayed there. Pretty nifty, Lynne helped me code it. Then there are the fields for favorite color, favorite deck, favorite card, etc.
    All of those are based off of the niche.

10. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Arny, have you thought about adding profile fields such as "Favorite Disney movie", "Favorite Disney character", etc.?

11. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

I would never put my name!!! NEVER!! Not only that, but I dislike my first name. Sounds kind of manly. On the anime forum we were going to add ' favorite anime' and ' favorite anime character' . Was never implemented though, shame.