Choosing a font for ranks

Discussion in 'Skinning, Design and Graphics' started by Michael, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Michael

Michael Regular Member

What are the best font choices when making rank images? I always have trouble choosing readable ones. I am really fond of Myriad Pro which always end up looking blurry or too unreadable. What fonts do you use when making user ranks?

:)

2. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

The only reason sometimes Myriad Pro can look very blurry is because you have it anti-alised as "smooth" when it should be "sharp".

Usually it depends on the forum, I use trebuchet MS in different styles, sometimes not even recognized by some people, usually at 11-10pt. Tahoma is really good at 10pt bold.

Anyways! It depends on your niche, for example, for Setsou Design I'll be using SavingsBond at 27pt, but I have a reason why to do so.

2 people like this.
  3. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Oh that must be why theyve been coming out blurry all the time, I always have it set to AA (not Admin Addict :D). I am gonna test this out as I am attempting a rank set. I really need to improve on my forum graphics making skills and the fonts problem was the most annoying.

Thanks.

4. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

I like Tahoma and Trebuchet MS for ranks/buttons.

5. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Grr...I've used Tahoma on a few and people didn't like it. :(

Font choice is always really difficult for me. :(

6. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

Trebuchet MS is my font of choice, for just about everything, unless it calls specifically for another type of font.

7. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Depends how you use Tahoma, Tahoma can look REALLY bad on a design. But then again it can make it look good, like this PSD design IMO, it's all Tahoma for exception of a couple of parts.

8. RockinRobbins

RockinRobbins Adept

First Name:
    Renee
    Hi All,

As some of you know I am working on this issue right now! There are so many choices and while some look good they just don't convey the right feeling that I am trying to achieve for my site.

If you are interested, I just posted my rank badge drafts with three different font types (http://www.adminaddict.net/forum/gr...es-womens-health-forum-3468/index3/#post43247). If you want to take a look and see how the fonts change the feeling of the badges feel free! Also, if you have time let me know which one you like the best!

THanks!
    RR

9. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

It might only be my opinion, then again, I am crazy, so yeah, in my opinion, a script font can look good on a rank if used correctly and if it fits your niche.

You can't have a script font rank image on a tech forum, it wouldn't fit.

But you can make a script look good in a rank, see image below. It was a quick one, so sorry for the crappyness.

10. RockinRobbins

RockinRobbins Adept

First Name:
    Renee
    FMB! That is beautiful! I love the look. I know you said that it was a quick draft, but I am sure that it could be really sharp.

As you said - the font needs to be part of your theme... it needs to work with your site.

Great job!
    RR

11. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Actually, I find that one really hard to read. :(

12. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Also, I didn't mention it, but the color of your ranks & the color of the text affect greatly on how the rank looks.

Believe me, the rank I posted does not look good in white, but it would look good in white[background] and red text.

btw, thanks for the compliments. :)

13. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

I might have lowered the drop down shadow a bit too much.