Can't edit posts?

Discussion in 'Admin Talk Support & Feedback' started by Shelley, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

Any reason why this is suddenly enforced. Whenever I submit material whether it's content or previews I add to the existing first post. I was able to edit before and now this is not the case.

I feel this is down to not trusting members with the material they post on the offchance they may delete it.

I'd like to see this reversed and have permanent edit on threads.

I was about to add some more previews in the smiley post i made and found out i couldn't so check on my other submissions and the same goes for them cannot edit if I want to add additional content. .

2. John

John Regular Member

Yes I also noticed this and its annoying that we can't edit our own threads. I can edit my other post but not the first post in my threads.

3. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I was personally not aware of such a change - Nick or Savage, was this something that was just recently enforced?

4. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Yes, I recently made this change. We had a member who had some issues and decided to remove all links to his website from his review threads. Although that wasn't a big deal, I realized how much of an issue this could become - and that somebody who may decide to withdraw their contributions can easily do so because of the unlimited time limit.

I have increased the limit to 30 days, as that is the only viable option that comes to mind.

5. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

I don't mean to sound like a moany face but that's not good enough nick. I came to this site in good faith with the agenda to help in it's growth and because 1 member decides to remove his/her content we are tarnished with the same brush.

I don't remove my content unless it's directly being tampered with. I can't speak for the others nick but if there's no trust why would anyone even want to post. Like I said, I like admin addict, I enjoy being here and have no intention of ever removing my contributions no matter if we disagree or otherwise but your tarnishing others who have only good intentions with the same brush.

You could create a trusted usergroup with the ability to permanent edit. The group would be viewed as the same with the only accept ion that they can edit on a permanent basis.

6. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Shelley, we do trust you and all of our other members. Keep in mind that there originally was no limit whatsoever.

It's unfortunate that the limit had to be put in place, and I'm sorry it disinterests some members from even posting. However, I really do appreciate your honesty in this matter. And you are bringing up points that I wouldn't have ever thought of. So thank you for working with me through this.

Unfortunately, vBulletin doesn't allow you to set editing time limits on a per-usergroup basis. There is a "Can Edit Posts" setting for each usergroup and a global edit time limit. The only viable option would be to completely disable editing of posts by members that aren't in this trusted usergroup - which simply isn't a viable option.

As for the dipshit - well, he's not a dipshit. He didn't do it just to spite us or because he wanted to be an a**. He did it because posting his link here resulted in some undesirable actions and happenings on his own forum.

I guess I'm forced to remove the time limit again. I'm hoping nobody will take advantage of us. If this happens again, but on a more serious scale, I'm afraid I will have to come up with something to do.

7. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Sounds great. :) Much appreciated.

You can always revert the edited posts on your end manually if it is ever an issue though. I'm certainly not going to edit without good intent.

8. Randy

Randy Adept

First Name:
    Randy
    Nick i am sure there is a mod that you can find on vb.org and if not just request it and im sure somebody will do it as it could be a great mod in general.

9. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

Then I can understand his desire to remove his link. It really shouldn't have anything to do with the rest of us. Thank you for reversing your decision. :)

10. Nick

Nick Regular Member

It really didn't have anything to do with you guys. It never occurred to me that there was a huge window open to abuse; but what happened with this user made me realize what a risk it is. I didn't even realize (or remember setting) that the time limit was indefinite.

But it's old news now. Everything is all fixed up. :D

11. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

Thanks again. :)

12. Ak Worm

Ak Worm Grand Master

First Name:
    Corey
    Thanks

13. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    I have no problem with an edit limit window, however, thanks to vBulletin edit history remains.

I also believe there's a mod on vB.org for limitations on daily edits, if that makes sense. :P