Can guests view profiles?

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by Nick, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Do you allow unregistered users (guests) to view your members' profiles?

On some of my forums, we do not, but on another we do. The only issue I have with it would be privacy, but I don't think it's that big of a deal.

2. cheat-master30

cheat-master30 Grand Master

On my own forum, sure. I don't see any problem with it personally, and hey, things like user albums are content.

3. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    On one of my upcoming forums user privacy will be a HUGE concern, so no, I won't be allowing guests to view profiles or even Who's Online.

On others, it doesn't matter so much, so yes, guests can view just about everything.

4. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    none of my forums allow guests to view profiles, because members post personal information on there, that i dont think guests should see. if they are really that nosey about things they should register.

on two of them they can see most things-threads and posts in most sections, so see the threads in the forum before they decide they want to join.

one one of them guests see nothing because the admin of a rival forum and their members seem to want to spy on us and copy our ideas (although she accuses us of being the same)

5. boatswife

boatswife Regular Member

No, guests can't view anything.

6. cheat-master30

cheat-master30 Grand Master

^You mean nothing on profiles, or your site? If the former, fair enough. If the latter, that's a recipe for disaster.

7. Michael

Michael Regular Member

We allow guests to view everything, well more or less everything. On one forum we would prefer to disallow guests to view profiles but unfortunately one of the mods simply wont work without profiles being viewable by guests.

8. Bryce

Bryce Regular Member

Why should the mod care if profiles are viewable by guests? Tell him to have those guests register to view it or fire them.

9. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Sorry Bryce, I should have wrote that clearer, what I meant was one of the modifications we use requires guests profiles to be viewable so that the modification works for guests too :)

10. Nathaniel Altere

Nathaniel Altere Newcomer

First Name:
    Anthony
    I allow my guests viewing access to everything so they get a taste of whats in store after a register :P

11. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Not viewable for people not logged in. It is not just the guests, it is also the search bots. People put personal information in their profiles and sometimes the visitor messages could be taken out of context too easily.

12. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

No, I always have profiles disabled to guests. It's the least I can do to give members at least a semblance of privacy.