Campers or hikers?

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by kev, Mar 19, 2009.

1. kev

kev Regular Member

Do we have anyone here that goes camping or hiking?

2. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    Hiker...but I'm looking to try out some camping here one of these days.

3. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

We try to go camping a few times a year in season. Nothing big just a few days away. Its been difficult the last few years because of the drought here in California. Many campgrounds are dry right now and fires aren't allowed. So you have to haul in your own water and eat cold food. Isn't really as enjoyable as it could be.

4. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    Them Californian wildfires are insane! We get a few wildfires here in West Texas but nothing near as bad as you guys. The last two years was bad as well. One had the cops running us out of our home which was scary. Thank God the wind started dieing down and they was able to contain it. Anyhow, I hope the fires in California settle down soon. We're taking the boy to Lego Land in a few weeks :D

5. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I live in New Hampshire, but we have a house in California that was on the verge of being hit by the fires. Very scary.

6. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    That definitely doesn't sound like a fun time.

7. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Ugh - it was horrendous. I haven't been there for a while (going soon actually), but my parents took some pictures of the surrounding area and my face made some shifty, uncomfortable movements.

8. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Kind of have to give a wry chuckle here...

I live in the Mojave Desert portion of California so we don't have large forests in the immediate vicinity but the Tehachapi and San Gabriel Mountains aren't too far away.

Last Thursday, we went to go out and the skies were a reddish grey. Seems there was a fire in the brush about 2 miles from us. Luckily they got it out before it did too much damage.

Then on Saturday, I am at the park with the kids when I get a text from my wife that simply says "delta on fire, will be l8". Delta is an animal rescue and happens to be where my wife works as a veterinary technician. Seems the house next door caught on fire as well as the brush and they had to relocate 30 horses, 50 cats and 80 dogs while fending off the fire waiting 30 minutes for the fire department to get there. This was a small fire with only a few acres burned but again could have been much worse. At least they didn't have to relocate all the animals. All told, there are about 1500.

Today we're experiencing thunderstorms. So we'll see what happens with that.