Building forum activity - what works for you?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by cpvr, Apr 30, 2011.

1. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Well, what if you make posts and nobody responds? Why not give tips on how to build forum activity?

2. Gamrpro

Gamrpro Regular Member

I like to order packages from multiple forums. Also, I do a lot of exchanges which is great. To keep it active you need to do about 1 of each everyday.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Dont always rely on Post Exchanges, try your best to promote and gain genuine members or your forum won't do as well.

4. Gamrpro

Gamrpro Regular Member

Yea I don't. That is what I do least of. I usually do 75% forum cash exchanges.

Kaiser likes this.
  5. LunarScorpio

LunarScorpio The Counselor

All different types, there's no one type of thread that gets people talking more than the others, at least not that I've really noticed thus far.

6. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Well, its your community, you know what threads generate replies, just like I do. Good threads are "What are your childhood memories?" "What do you remember doing years ago?"" things like that = great for replies, or something like "When did you start writing?" I'm really suprised at your response because as a community owner, we're always making new threads for our members, so thus, we're fully aware of what threads work, and what don't.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Yea I agree, all sorts of thread get people interested, if you stick to just one, you wont get much active members as they will get bored.

8. LunarScorpio

LunarScorpio The Counselor

I’m sure we do have threads similar, if not same, topic as those you mentioned, but at the end of the day, I’m not sure if those topics or any specific topic types will get more responses than others. It depends on the day, depends on the people that are around. There are threads I made closer to the beginning of my forum’s life that didn’t get any responses until rather recently. It all just depends, hence why I don’t know if there is actually a specific type of topic that generates more conversation than others. I don’t focus in on creating any specific types of topic when I make them or what kind of responses they’ll get; I just make topics that are based off of my personal interests at the time--which can be quite random--and I believe that’s what my members do as well. In a way, this brings us closer together and it also helps generate conversation because you never know what types of topics are going to come up. But, honestly, I don't keep track of what types of topics generate conversation and what types don't because you never know, the types of topics that generate replies today, may not be the same type that generate conversation tomorrow or the next day or the next.

Kaiser, you bring up another good point. If you stick to one type of thread, your members are liable to get become bored with it.

Kaiser likes this.
  9. Trealix

Trealix Gamer

I owned many forums back in 09/2010 and all I did was hire 3 Admins which helped run while I was away...

10. John15

John15 Regular Member

Well said Somnium :)
    Couldnt agree more, thats what I do. It does help's with activity.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

So how has activity lately been on your forum?

12. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Did you end up selling your communities, or what happened to them?

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

He just closed them.

14. Soulwatcher

Soulwatcher Regular Member

The biggest thing I learned as a forum owner is not to give your members cash value incentives to post. All this does is make them want you to hold a contest every month. And if you don't hold a contest they are less likely to post.

And they you also have the problem of people making spammy posts just to get their post count up. Your better off letting your forum build activity on its own merit unless you have deep pockets.

15. Savvy

Savvy Regular Member

Some of the things I do:

Create a ton of discussions. Never EVER stop creating discussions.

Invite friends to your forum, they will be some of your biggest supporters. I have friends from nearly 7 years ago that come to my forum and post and they are some of the most active members.

PostLoop, a great tool... You can invest some money and also do straight exchanges to get your forum off the great tremendously. Try to draw PLers in to become regular members outside of PL.

Forum Promotion is another great website for manual exchanges, posting deals, and advertisement.
    Try to draw FP members in to become regular members outside of FP. :P

Advertise your site absolutely everywhere. I always thought this was a waste of time until the other day. I got a member that found my forum on a smaller (tiny) forum... and within 3 weeks this guy has posted 600 post (on-topic) He's literally on more than I am. :P

Somehow come across a good email list and try some email marketing. ;)

"AIM marketing" can be successful at times. Very rarely though.

Try this out and it should help. It does require dedication. You have to keep it up and never let up. If you get into a slump then come out of it quick because you can lose progress so quickly! That's all I can think to say because that's all I do. :P It works for me, but I will always be looking for more ways to get activity. :P

Trombones13 and Kaiser like this.
  16. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Very nice Flux, this will come in handy to others, the first one I would say is the most important. Gotta have content..