Bit the bullet and upgraded to 4.1

Discussion in 'Web Development and Programming' started by Dan Hutter, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to 4.1 on a secondary board of mine, OKJT. The process was painless overall. I've upgraded a dev board previously so I didn't expect it to be a headache.

Had a problem with an old 3.8 plugin that broke login once upgraded. Ouch. I disabled hooks via config.php, upgraded the plugins, and all was right with the world again.

I think we'll be sticking with the default style. One of my mods will convert over our logo and that will be that. Maybe I'll generate a new style via the ACP with different colors but vB.org doesn't have much in the way of fresh styles for 4 yet.

If all goes well I'll upgrade my main board in the coming weeks.

2. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Good to hear you had very little problems :)

3. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

Yeah I upgraded a couple in the last week. I didnt find many if any problems at all. Though. its a pain updating templates, but other than that seems they got their act together on the new upgrade process

4. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Our templates usually update themselves :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Bundy

Bundy Admin Talk Staff

Glad you are happy with the upgrade and it all went well :)

6. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

I'm really lovin' the new attachments uploader. I did spammed my test thread with 66 pics in one clip! What until the mods see what's in there. :D

Had an issue with AME even though upgraded it. Turns out a vB file needed to be edited. Not to hept on editing vB files but the edit was simple enough and I understood exactly what it was doing.

What's everyone using for advertising with vB 4? I see it has a built in ad system which looks pretty sweet but does it auto-rotate banners? It'd be great to get away from GAB (from the vBGeek) which appears to have no support.

If it weren't for Christmas and needing the extra $$ I'd upgrade my main board today too.

BTW What's the rules regarding the powered by vB link in the footer? I know the text has to remain but I edited out the link them SOB's aren't getting referrals out of me unless it's an affiliate link :p

7. Bundy

Bundy Admin Talk Staff