Big news at vBulletin.com...

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by BirdOPrey5, Jan 21, 2014.

1. GTB

GTB Regular Member

True, for some newbie who just wants to test vB5 without the hassle, that's fair enough and might suit them. But you can rent a server for $30 a year, never mind a month. Install free forum software like MyBB, SMF, or phpBB3 e.t.c, have no limited forum features capped. And it's not like vB5 is superb, it's worth paying for this deal, now is it...

SneakyDave likes this.
  2. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Lurker

First Name:
    David
    Does anybody know what the URL's are go import a style, or the Add-On options in the admincp? I was going to see if they really disabled them in vBCloud, or just hid the functions.

3. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Regular Member

First Name:
    Jeroen
  4. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

First Name:
    Joe
    VB5 licenses are transferable.

5. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

First Name:
    Joe
    Alfa1 likes this.
  6. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

Last I read they were non-transferable except by those in the EU and then only due to local laws. Has that changed?

7. VICE

VICE Regular Member

Transferable once outside of EU.
    Eternally inside EU but must pay IB $45 for every transfer.

Dan Hutter likes this.
  8. signal500

signal500 Regular Member

Why is anyone concerned with custom plugins or themes when hardly any exist anyway.

SneakyDave and jmurrayhead like this.
  9. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

First Name:
    Joe
    That announcement was made but it was short lived- it got sorted out and VB5 licenses outside the EU are transferable- one time- for a $45 fee after 90 days. Inside the EU they are transferable so long as they stay in the EU for a $45 fee each time.

10. VICE

VICE Regular Member

WTF!!!
    WTF!!!
    WTF!!!

I'm screwed!!!

So outside of EU, I still need to pay $45!?

What about my vB4 license!?
    Does the $45 also apply!?

11. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

And Vbulletin has completely killed its product. It has turned what was once a viable product in to total shit. This is by far the DUMBEST move they have decided to do since IB has taken over the company. Basically, they just devalued every single licensed copy of their product. They can barely keep their servers secure and people are supposed to trust them with their data? What a joke. This is exactly what it appears to be, a complete money grab for a sinking ship. No one is buying licenses anymore, so this is there desperate move to make money.

Just wow.. I really hope none of you fall for this ... And if I owned a license still I would be angry as hell at them. Plus, good luck ever reselling a license now... So dumb.. beyond moronic

cpvr, ManagerJosh, SneakyDave and 2 others like this.
  12. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

First Name:
    Joe
    VB5 transfers are handled by our sales department- perhaps you should email sales if you need a more specific answer.

But from what I've been told everyone pays the $45 fee for a VB5 transfer. VB3/4 transfers (first/only time) do not.

13. Big al

Big al Regular Member

@ Cerberus, Well said and very accurate. How secure is allowing IB/VB to store data? AOL was mentioned , if I remember back a while, I stopped using AOL when it seemed that they wanted to take control of your PC if you used their service and when downloaded, it altered things on its own accord.

14. Big al

Big al Regular Member

Another good reason to avoid VB5 like the plague.

15. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I've been reading up on what you have posted on the site. Thanks for that by the way. It's nice to see that just like many thought this is half baked and fits right in with the way IB releases things.

If you want to see the admin of a full vbulletin 5 connect site head over to http://vbulletin.admin-talk.com. You'll need to register for admin access because IB in their wisdom didn't update impex for vbulletin 5 so I couldn't import the user accounts from here to make it easy to give admin access when requested.

In any event the threads you posted are very enlightening and should prove invaluable to anyone that is researching whether or not they should use the new hosted product.

I also added a link to the site to go along with the demo I have setup.

16. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Lurker

First Name:
    David
    Thanks, I was just looking at your 5.1.0 install and comparing it to the 5.0.6 cloud version. I think the 5.0.6 version and 5.0.5 version are identical, except for the things they added to support the cloud stuff, like the quick admin features that don't quite work, and the removal of the add-on and style upload/download options in the acp.

Still a lot of error pop ups, and it is very frustrating, sometimes editing a post 6-7 times just to figure out how it wants things to look.

I've only tried about 8-9 admin options on the Cloud, at at least 2 don't work at all.

IB doesn't give owners access to any admin or error log to find out what, if any, error is logged.

In a lot of ways, this option would be a bigger pain point for vB support, because there as an admin, you have no access to error/admin logs. All you can do is create a support ticket, or visit the forum. And because support is an extra $49 a month, I doubt small or medium size forums are opting for that.

17. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    It doesn't surprise me that they have restricted viewing logs.

Obviously this was put together very quickly and since it's the first release will take about 3 years to iron out all the kinks.

One has to wonder, with limited amount of staff that they now have, how development of the non-hosted version of vbulletin 5 will be affected. It seems to me that they can only work on 1 version at a time and since this hosted thing is probably a priority my bet is everything else stops.

When they released vbulletin 5 development of vbulletin 4 basically stopped. Will the same thing happen to vbulletin 5 non-hosted now?

Dan Hutter likes this.
  18. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Regular Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Internet Brands should have stuck with buying/killing existing web sites and left IT to people who know what they're doing. I'm sure I've said this before, though :rolleyes:

19. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Regular Member

Internet Brands wouldn't be able to update Impex. It requires actual knowledge of mvc/object oriented programming.

digitalpoint likes this.
  20. signal500

signal500 Regular Member

Anyone care to guess what would happen if i purchased a vbcliud service and dedicated it to how crap of a product and service it is.

Wonder how many members or posts itd take before they just deleted it with no warning at all.

thewhatami and jmurrayhead like this.