Big news at vBulletin.com...

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by BirdOPrey5, Jan 21, 2014.

1. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    The same for many of us.

When IB first bought vbulletin I was one of the few that thought vbulletin was starting to stagnate under John and James control and that a change in ownership would bring about new ideas. I was willing to go along and see what would happen with IB as the owner. I actually thought IB would do good things.

Then the staff forum leak happened and we got a glimpse of what was to come. In those leaked threads it was clear that IB didn't care about customers. Steve Machol was trying to tell them that they would be making a huge mistake by changing the license terms by doing away with leased licenses and yearly renewals.

Then the pre-sale. I like many others fell for the hype and bought in. Then when released we all seen how they treated the customers that asked why we paid for such garbage. Yet many still had hope and remained to see if IB would attempt to fix the disaster vbulletin 4 was and because at the time there really wasn't a viable alternative to vbulletin 3.x.

There is much more to the story on why many of us despise IB and vbulletin. It's hard for those that weren't there from the beginning like many of us were to understand the hatred.

It's not easy to alienate your most loyal supporters and make them hate everything about something they once loved yet IB managed to do it fairly easily.

2. GTB

GTB Regular Member

But it's always the same story though, it was with vB4 at first and vB5 is the same, now they can't even get this vBCloud started without a person using it for testing and reporting all sorts of problems with it, not to mention missing features when released (no database backup). How many chances do they think people will give them before walking away?

Joe, people are not haters, they are simply sick of IB cocking everything up. Just so they can try and make money sooner rather than later, releasing buggy stuff on purpose treating customers like mugs.

3. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

First Name:
    Joe
    Do you think customer's - besides ones from here who followed links there- actually read or know about those press releases? If not for sites like this I'd have no idea the press release existed- it's not advertised on vb.com, not linked in any official announcement I saw. I think too much attention is paid to them- I don't see Press Releases raising expectations for that reason. But, it would have been ideal to all be on the same page- for everyone's sake.

There's really no reason cloud couldn't handle high traffic sites, high traffic is not hand in hand with heavily customized.

4. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

What I quoted is from the sales page of vB Cloud.

upload_2014-1-31_21-39-19.png

Scott

5. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

That is what blows my mind and others.

thewhatami, Big al and jmurrayhead like this.
  6. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Regular Member

First Name:
    Jeroen
    You know perfectly well that sales like the vBulletin cloud comes from either press releases, information posted on forums and talking between people. But the press releases say something else then the support staff and the http://www.vbulletin.com/en/vbulletin-cloud page that tries to explain it all. Like Scott says with the picture all vBulletin main features enabled and acording to http://www.vbulletin.com/en/features/ i would expect that "Power Template Engine for Advanced Customization" is a main feature, but we all know that we do not have full access to the template system.

s.molinari and Big al like this.
  7. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

First Name:
    Joe
    Wow. Hadn't noticed. I will certainly bring it up as something that should be changed. Just FYI, even if it is agreed rarely do changes happen quickly.

s.molinari likes this.
  8. Terry

Terry Regular Member

And growing ... All for the wrong reasons of course ..

Big al likes this.
  9. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Regular Member

Classic case of Internet Brand's own team doesn't even know what's going on. This is another classic instance of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing.

BamaStangGuy and Big al like this.
  10. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Perhaps you should take some time out from arguing with people.... and have a read and get clued up as a vB support rep. No use preaching what you don't even know.

Terry and ManagerJosh like this.
  11. s.molinari

s.molinari Regular Member

I know it will be hard, but try and point out the disconnect overall between what they constantly deliver and what they try to sell. This isn't the first case of this happening, the video of vB 5 being another good example. And try to point out this disconnect is one of the things hurting vB and its sales.

Basically, IB simply needs to be a whole lot more truthful and honest, not only with their customers, but internally with themselves.

And somehow, I have a very sneaky feeling, this .....hmmm......what is the right word.......deceitfulness(?).......is actually propagated from the very top. Meaning, it won't be agreed by anybody higher up that you are right about the incorrect marketing language, so this issue won't change or improve and I'll even venture to say, IB will go out of business sooner or later, because of it.

I've learned over the years that thoughts put into action are like radio waves. If the thoughts don't match the actions and it is a clear case of intention to do so willfully, then those waves hit people like the sound of someone scratching on a chalkboard. It is loud, it is obnoxious, raises the hair on people's necks and nobody likes it, except usually the person scratching the board. IB needs to stop scratching chalkboards.

Scott

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    Big al and Autopilot like this.
  12. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

First Name:
    Joe
    As you point out I am VB Support Rep- I provide support to specific issues users have when they make a post or a ticket. I am not the "editor" of vBulletin.com and don't really need to know every single page to provide tech support. When I am talking about issues besides support on vb.com or in a ticket I am doing so outside my role as a support rep.

Yes, I do like to know what is on our pages but really it isn't part of a support rep's job to know what is on a sales page. If someone had a sales question someone in sales would answer it.

13. Autopilot

Autopilot Regular Member

You may not need that info unless it is specific to the support you offer but when you offer an opinion on here or anywhere else you would look less the fool if you knew what you were talking about.

Big al likes this.
  14. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

First Name:
    Joe
    Classy.

15. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

Being you have defined yourself as a Support Rep for Vbulletin, I am curious as to what is your specific designated expertise? What specific support do you provide? Because that seems to be a rather vague umbrella term. Are you a styles expert? Php expert? Modification expert?

16. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Regular Member

First Name:
    Jason
    hmm...this is just my opinion, but I think @Big al and @BirdOPrey5 should lay off each other. I completely disagree with Joe's (BoP5) thoughts on vBulletin, but I don't think he's a bad person and I don't think he's intentionally trying to mislead people into vB Cloud/vB 5/vB Crap...I think he may just be trying to do his job as best as he can. IMO, he's completely wrong...but if the things he believes are what he's really passionate, I'll give him due props for standing up for what he believes in. But the personal drama between you two needs to come to and end. I mean seriously...I can find a billion more things to do with my time than nitpick everything another person says. Time to grow up, gents. :)

17. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Regular Member

First Name:
    Jason
    Well, I don't have time to read all of that, but where's the proof? Seriously, this is borderline creepy the extent that you guys are willing to go to defame each other.

AWS and BamaStangGuy like this.
  18. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

So shut up. Stop making yourself out to be the savior of vB here because we are sick of your company and sick of the constant circle of shit you keep producing here trying to do that.

Autopilot and Big al like this.
  19. Big al

Big al Regular Member

Well said!!

20. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I have removed all the post in this thread that were nothing more than personal attacks. That stuff doesn't belong here.

Take it to my old site http://rantsbbs.com. No one will edit or remove anything there.