At What Age Did You Start Your First Forum?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by MW3Forum, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Lol I never used my real age, duh trombones :shakehead:

2. Trombones13

Trombones13 Regular Member

Well, that makes it totally OK, then. :P lol

Kaiser likes this.
  3. Ashley

Ashley Regular Member

There are, but they aren't enforced very well, though, because when registering on a forum, it's almost like MySpace or Facebook: Very easy to lie and say how old you are even if you aren't of age yet to be foruming at all. I have yet to see an administrator even take these laws seriously, because I know I'm guilty of not doing so. Of course, it helps because there aren't a lot of permission slips to look at and stuff, but still.

4. Azure

Azure Regular Member

My main site also has adult content, and there are some members that say that they are minors. But as far as I'm concerned, they're all 40 year old virgins. ;)

I started my first forum when I was 12 or 13. I had started foruming when I was 11.

5. TheeGiveR

TheeGiveR Regular Member

I was 14 when I first created a forum, it was a hell of a experience lol.

Trombones13 likes this.
  6. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Haha same for me, just the feeling of owning a forum, and running it is enough for me.

7. AbuTaj

AbuTaj Regular Member

I was 13 when I first started posting on forums - and BOY! Was I a n00b!
    Then I started my first forum at 15, and got my act together. Pretty successful for someone who learned as he went along, too.

Trombones13 and Kaiser like this.
  8. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

I was a noob as well and very young, only 11. So it has been 6 years for me since, im turning 17 next month.

9. Trealix

Trealix Gamer

aged 10 I started :)

10. Ashley

Ashley Regular Member

Ha, ha, I know when I started out with foruming, and when it came to specific questions that required more than a yes or no answer, it took me a while to figure out how to respond without going overboard, but at first with some of these questions, you had to respond just as though you were writing an essay or a composition of some sort. Finally I figured out that you didn't have to make a flipping report or essay out of your responses, all you had to do was just staying on topic and just post what you can.

11. Bluezone777

Bluezone777 Regular Member

I was 22 when I started my first board.

As for COPPA, it's treated like one big joke tbh. No one really cares if you follow it or not as long as you don't make it obvious that you are circumventing it. If you don't do that then you will never have a problem with COPPA.

12. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

What happened? Did you end up selling your forum, or do you still own it?

13. Juice

Juice Regular Member

I first made my own forum when I was around 12, I had no idea what to do and no-one joined it. :P

14. Wolfy

Wolfy Regular Member

I made my first forum when I was 13.

15. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Especially since you can use the Facebook connect so that you don't have to go through the register process and such, and usually people who are underage tend to slip up and give up their age.

16. DarkFX

DarkFX Regular Member

I think I was 12 when I made webs.com account. It was for a clan. It didn't go anywhere though lol. Then at 14, I made a MyBB site with a friend, Buket. I made one mod for it, think it's still there, it's the MOTW mod of the SOTW. After, I started looking into paid forum software. I didn't have the money, so I got a nulled vBulletin (I know, I was young -.-). It went somewhere to around 200 members with a little bit of posts. After vB, I went to IPB with another friend who bought the software. It was a great forum for graphic arts. Sadly, the domain expired and we lost everything. At the time, I was still running a forum with Choloboy (the vB one). Kaiser, is an old, old, old, old, friend that has helped me get into foruming. He talked to Choloboy, the one on here, and got him to buy a XenForo license. I was like, "No way man. It looks like PHPBB!". I was wrong and now I am in love with Xenforo. So that's my Foruming history. I am 16 now.

17. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I didn’t even have dial-up internet until my 20’s, and really didn’t mess with forums till I was 22!

I was “in the right place at the right time” when I started my first forum. I teamed up with 2 other guys that wanted to startup a new forum because another forum that we’re both on was really turning to crap and we thought we could do better.

18. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Did you guys end up doing better than the other forum? It's always nice to hear a success story.

19. stewart1champ

stewart1champ Regular Member

Slow learner here.... didn't start until i was in my 20's. Now a little older, losing more and more time....

20. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Did you end up closing your first forum? What software did you use?

Once you learn the ropes, you're in for a waterfall. It gets better within time - especially with the managing, and promotion aspects of a community.