Asking for support on your own support forum...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Tyler, May 21, 2009.

1. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    If you run any kind of a support forum (AA could be considered a support forum, to give you an idea), do you ask for the same support you are supposed to be giving to the community on that forum?

For example:

You own a web design forum and have a question about slicing images. Being the owner of the forum, this might be something your members are assuming you can do, especially when they need help themselves. Would you want your members to see that need help with this? Would you maybe post under a different username?

2. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Ah, I see what you mean. To be honest, I've never done this - but it's an interesting thought.

3. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I would just ask the the question - I don't see any need to mask my identity.

4. Imperial

Imperial Adept

Think it might depend on the situation. If you run a web design forum and you don't know how to splice, that could raise a red flag for some of the users. I think that admins should be well-versed in the basics of their forum niche. I know that this is not always the case, sometimes forums are launched or acquired for profit potential.

In my opinion, if the question is seemingly basic, Google it. If the question requires a more detailed opinion and/or expertise, then I'd ask it. Suppose part of it really comes down to how you want your users to see you (as admin).

5. lordtopcat

lordtopcat Adept

First Name:
    Jamie
    I think the members (most) would appreciate seeing you ask for support/help. I personally see no problem with it.

6. plazzman

plazzman Adept

Like someone said, it depends on the situation. If it's a very specific, or talent based forum, then yeah, it would be awkward for the admin to ask for simple help. It's just a notion that admins should generally know most, if not all there is to know about the theme.

In fact, I've had forums where one of my admins didn't know jack about MMA, and I found it quite odd.

Members like someone who really knows their shit, that way they'll stick around more, and take everything you say as the truth.

7. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Of course; there's always room for improvement, so learning something from another designer (in my case) is completely fine, I think.

8. John

John Regular Member

It depends on what forum it is but in your example i would say that is a simple thing that you should know if you have that forum but i don't really know anything about webdesign.

But i don't really have any problem in asking for help on my own forums but I have not had many support forums.

9. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I don't see this as being a problem - even though I've never done so myself, asking for assistance on your own forum shouldn't be considered to be a bad thing... regardless of the fact that you're an administrator, there is always something new to learn.

10. Lynne

Lynne Regular Member

I have asked for support before on my site. I run a live music downloading site and I was having problems burning a dual layer DVD on my Mac. Who better to ask than the other users on the site who have to do the same thing? Of course, I outlined all the things I had tried prior to finally having to ask for help.

11. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Excellent point, Lynne.

12. Tom

Tom Regular Member

And, well said!

13. doodles

doodles Adept

First Name:
    Lisa
    I google everything:eek: and also search the forum for similar problems and if that fails to help then I would post.

14. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    I would use Google and other resource sites, but if it came down to asking on my own forum, then I don't see why not. Lynne pointed out some great things, I'm only human. I think my users should know that no one knows everything and there's always room to improve.

15. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

I have no problem whatsoever asking for support on my support forums.
    None of us knows everything. ;)

16. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    Well said.

17. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

Meh..speak for yourself. :unhunh:

--

On topic I have no issues with asking for help on forums, I even ask for computer help sometimes on my DJ forum because there's some folks around there that are pretty handy with computers.

18. Justin S.

Justin S. Regular Member

Exactly what I was thinking. :)

19. Green Cat

Green Cat Adept

I would also just ask the question using my regular account, there is nothing to be ashamed of not to know everything because nobody does.

20. lite

lite Newcomer

First Name:
    Brandin
    To be honest, I have 2 Support Forums. Both, I have never done so.