Are you a stats whore?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by labrocca, Jun 15, 2009.

1. labrocca

labrocca Addict

First Name:
    Jesse
    Forgive the crude title but how else can I describe it? :o

I am going to admit it..I am a verified stats whore.

Daily I check my Google Analytics and spend a great deal of time viewing and analyzing it. I check my Alexa rank daily too. I view my Google Webmaster Tools as well to see how many pages are indexed and any issues with my sitemap.

I make any adjustments I can to improve SEO and rankings. I am without doubt a stats whore.

2. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I wouldn't call myself a "statistical whore" (when it comes to forums - finances, I am). I'm quite sure that Nick is one, however. :lol:

3. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

;( I actually don't rely on none of those stats since I think they're quite inaccurate. The only one I would trust is Google Analytic and I don't even check.

4. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Not really, though I check Google Analytics.

Are any of you statistic freaks?

5. labrocca

labrocca Addict

First Name:
    Jesse
    Google Analytics is very accurate but stats are stats....and as much as some downplay Alexa it's still a widely used indicator. Many large ad networks will only advertise with you if your Alexa is under a certain number. Having a strong Alexa can also help in any site sale you might participate in. Short term Alexa isn't very good but if you can show a 6 months or more history I think that's going to be viewed very favorably.

When I compare the growth in Analytics vs Alexa I see no discrepency. When I have a 10k Alexa day my stats show a boost in traffic. At a certain level Alexa becomes fairly accurate...they tout 100k mark which many accept as conventional wisdom.

6. Demo

Demo Regular Member

First Name:
    Demo
    I check my stats everyday. Analytics, Awstats, Webmastertools, etc.

I want to know exactly how's my site doing. And yesterday the stats told me my promotional banner isn't receiving enough clicks, so I had to place it elsewhere. Lots more clicks know, thanks to these stats.

7. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Ohmygosh, yes! :lol:

Yes
    Yes
    Yes

I am indeed a statistics/numbers/analytical FREAK! I spend a good amount of time doing a lot of what you have described, Labrocca - browsing my Google Webmaster Tools (I hate the new interface, by the way), Google Analytics, Webalizer and Awstats. In fact, I just cried to Chris earlier because I couldn't figure out how to enable Awstats for AA. :lmao:

I can never get enough information in terms of traffic, stats, rankings, comparision, etc. New statistics program released? I'll be the first to try it! .

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
  8. labrocca

labrocca Addict

First Name:
    Jesse
    Anyone have any good tools they want to share btw?

9. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    I don't need to worry about it because I have Nick to. :p

No, I'm not that into it for some reason. The only thing I ever look at is the statistics in the Admin CP and I like to compare sites with others on Alexa.

10. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I, also, check out my Google Analytics fairly often; I like looking at the pretty graphs go UP :)

11. doodles

doodles Adept

First Name:
    Lisa
    yep i am. I check awstats, analytics, webmaster tools all the time.

Also love forum stats.
    I like seeing which is in the top 10 ie most read threads, most replied to threads, top poster, top thread starter, ahh the list is endless:eek:

I got cybs advanced forum statistics , but want to make a whole page for lots. It looks too much at the bottom of forum with more than 4 statistics

12. torque

torque Regular Member

Once a month I check AWStats, just to see how many visitors, page visits unique visits I have had and stuff like that but do not look daily or anything like that.

13. Blackout

Blackout Addict

First Name:
    Jacob
    No, I don't think I am. I rarely check my stats except in the admin cp.

14. Michael

Michael Regular Member

I check analytics each day and mainly look at the percentage on the dashboard to see if it is up or down. I dont like the new look of the webmaster tools too, but still those are checked each day as well as a quick search of our forums keywords to check our SERPs.

15. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I used to be like this, however, I have been checking on a near daily basis lately - Nick has gotten to me with his "statistically whorish" ways.

16. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    I usually spend my time on other forum related stuff than putting a lot of time into stats.

17. Nick

Nick Regular Member

:lol: I just came across a chart I maintained when I first launched my linnie forum - http://www.lineolatedparakeet.net/forumstats.pdf

I would keep a record of the daily stats. How much time did I have to waste back then? LOL
    Just goes to show how much of a stats whore I am. :P

18. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    i love looking at the statistics of my forums, its very interesting. i think i check things almost every day.

19. 2dub

2dub Regular Member

I check analytics regularly, but not necessarily daily. I like to see that visitors are going up. I check the referring sites to see if anybody new is linking to me, I also seem obsessed with the map overlay and seeing where my hits are coming from.

Alexa isn't too much of a help to me, being I'm still too small to be picked up by them.

20. Rizzo

Rizzo Regular Member

Nah, i have no idea on stats etc, i guess it's probably a problem of mine. I probably should look.