Are Blogs Worth it?

Discussion in 'Web Development and Programming' started by Freshfroot, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Freshfroot

Freshfroot Regular Member

So honestly.. I never been a huge blogger or a blog fan at all. I always found it to be useless. Since we already have forums and articles on the same topics.

Though lately I've been searching for help on certain topics. And I find many blogs tend to have good information. Though usually these blogs have a certain niche.

So is a blog really worth it? A general blog or a niche blog?

I might try to start my own real soon, though I haven't been able to decide on a niche. And a general blog might be too open for me.

2. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
  3. Freshfroot

hmm well I was thinking of just personal hosted blogs, but I guess I'd ask the same question for both types :)

4. Monster

Monster Admin Talk Staff

Well, with Twitter, Facebook and all, blogs have been on the decline. But sure, they're worth it if you want to publish your thoughts on the interwebs. :)

5. Homebody

Homebody Regular Member

I think personal blogs are well worth investing time in. I have a personal blog about camping, and it serves to help clarify information for myself (because you need to make certain what you're saying is accurate) and works as a kind of personal reference work...any ideas that we've tried in the past and the results are a matter of record and need only be "looked up" if you're not sure about the details. My blog is not a very popular one but I enjoy writing it.

6. Freshfroot

Not bad.. I know I tend to find coding blogs VERY useful, as they always post problems they had and how they were able to fix their issue. Usually you end up having a similar problem and their solution ends up being your needed solution as well.

I suppose it could be the same for camping ideas.

BTW if you have time, please PM your camping blog url. I love camping myself and would love to hear your experiences about it. :D

7. Homebody

Homebody Regular Member

I'm kinda shy about letting people here know about my camping blog because it's amateurish compared to what most of these guys know. I've slowed down right now because of the season, but next week I'll have a new post about winter camping in. Still, if you want to look at it, you can find it at www.campingideas.org.

8. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I think starting your own blog is a good idea, search engines love them and it's a good way to add more content to your "web site network".
    Even if you don't have much to post right now, it's good to have your own blog. You can always export the post and merge them with a blog you might start at a later date. That's what I did with my old blog, when I started it I would just post a few things here and there and they didn't get much traffic. Now that I have my own real blog, I merged all the old content together and now my blog gets a couple hundred views a day even when I don't post anything new for a week or two.
    BTW.. I like the campingideas blog, feel free to add it as a signature to get a few more views. :)

9. Homebody

Homebody Regular Member

Thanks, Brandon; I've been wondering if I should add it as a signature but keep hesitating; it's not a work of art or anything.

10. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    it's a start :)

11. Freshfroot

Thanks.

As for amatuer ish.. what matters is content. If you have some good info there, then you'll get lots of interested people.

12. carntheroos4eva

carntheroos4eva Regular Member

Try blogging on here first and see if you like it. If you think that it's not for you then you can stop.

13. Panache

Panache Regular Member

Blogging can be fun. I don't have a blog of a specific topic, but rather just a personal journal of sorts. I haven't had much time these days to keep mine up all the time. I think they're kind of fun to write, actually. Just like any other hobby, there are certainly individual preferences on this

14. elena

elena Regular Member

i have no my own blog but i can say that all information i need for my job no i know from foruma and blogs so i am very thankful)
    in a blog you can find anything you want and it is written in simple wirds, not book)

15. Homebody

Homebody Regular Member

That's an interesting observation, elena. It may be why blogging--and reading blogs--is so popular today.

16. Freshfroot

Well sometimes it seems people right too much about themselves though. And online stalkers can easily use this info against use. Which is why FB can be scary, if you add someone that you don't know too well.

17. Homebody

Homebody Regular Member

True, but blogs are like a dollar store--you have to sift through the crap to find the one or two useful ones. And online stalkers are ubiquitous, so you have to learn self-protective measures before you even start surfing the 'net. It's why it bothers me when I find out parents have bought their kids computers and stuffed them up in their rooms to use without supervision. It's almost like leaving a kid alone in a store.

An adult with a lick of common sense, though, should know enough to be careful of what they write--and read--online.

18. Freshfroot

Sadly many common people just can't comprehend this statement. If more did, we would have less underage girls wanting to meet up with online stalkers!

19. Homebody

Homebody Regular Member

So true, which is another reason why I advocate a central area in the house for computers young people use. Mind you, there will always be that foolish element; the kind that walk alone at night on dark streets, go hiking in mountains by themselves with no protective gear or means of communication, and long trips alone in cars without telling loved ones their route.

20. Monster

Monster Admin Talk Staff

Most blogs aren't read at all. They just sit in some database or in some web folder and take up space! :lol: