Any good forum idea's

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by David, Jul 6, 2009.

1. David

David Regular Member

So I've got a spare IPB 3 license (its actually finally pretty good so no bashing mmmmkay) but anyway, I've got this license and not any good idea's on what type of community to start with it.

Anyone have any idea's that maybe they dont have the time or knowledge to launch but would like to see launched?:mad2:

2. Chris

Chris Regular Member

This may sound awkward, but do you have any unique hobbies that you could develop a discussion community around?

3. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

I don't think it's awkward at all. One should develop around your hobbies, it will interest you more.

4. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Do you collect any type of item that doesn't already have a forum about it?

5. tryfuhl

tryfuhl Champion

First Name:
    Shawn
    What are you passionate about?

6. kev

kev Regular Member

Pick a topic that has affected your life in some way or another. Just as the others have mentioned, this can be hobbies, something you like doing, sickness, cancer, HIV, or something that has changed your life.

I started my site because of the cold war, the vietnam conflict, the tension that used to be between the USA and Russia, the duck and cover drills, the oil crisis of the early 1980s, high prices of food, natural disasters, the black death,,,, events past, present and future that have shaped mankind and has all affect our lives.

7. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Are there any political causes you're concerned about?

8. Chris

Chris Regular Member

How about some sort of fan community? Those can become quite successful, particularly if they're done right.

9. torque

torque Regular Member

Yeah just make sure if you do your fan site you get in at the right time - I got caught out with this I grew up listening to Michael Jackson, following his life and career, and I was starting to work on and build a fan website about him ahead of his comeback tour (with many rumors that he would be announcing a world tour after london)

So I built the forums, images etc and was about to launch it (what just coming up with a domain name) got tired one night and thought I would do it tomorrow - woke up the next morning (Australian time) to find out that he had died and now all the good domains are gone, and if I launched now it would look as though I am trying to cash in on the mans death - so now it's back to the drawing board for me.

Just do something your passionate about, something you would actually enjoy your time on.

10. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Another thing you might want to try is finding out what new TV shows will be coming out next season and building a site around one you think will interest you.

11. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Especially if a lot of hype has been built around this TV show!