Allowing Your Members to Edit Posts

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by SpacewardAsh, Jun 1, 2011.

1. WhosJose

WhosJose Regular Member

Edit first post(maybe) and editing a post before another post is made shouldn't be allowed. Deleting of post should be only allowed by someone with power.

Now see what I'm talking about?

2. SpacewardAsh

SpacewardAsh Lurking From Space

First Name:
    Ashley
    why do you say that?

3. WhosJose

WhosJose Regular Member

Well I realized I made a spelling mistake.

Here are my reasons.

First Post - First post is the conversation starter, people will be using this post as a referral. If allowed to edit people might get confused as a different message can be stated.

Following Posts - This should only be allowed to be edited if someone else didn't reply. This helps with the abuse of the "editing" power. Once again people can change the post and a different message could be said when they stated another.

Deleting Posts - As I said this should only be allowed by privileged members, reasons why because of abuse.

Look at the above post of mine, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

4. Gamrpro

Gamrpro Regular Member

I do let them edit there posts. Why? Because they may have said something inappropriate or have grammatical errors. When I'm a member I feel restricted without editing permissions. So that is why I let my members do it.

5. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Personally, I think they should only be allowed to edit posts up to 2 to 3 weeks because, what if they're trying to run an auction or trying to sell a site? That seems more reasonable than anything. A day or two is just asking for users to complain and such.

6. Bluezone777

Bluezone777 Regular Member

If you are really worried about people abusing the ability to edit then you can set it so they are forced to leave a notice that they edited their post. Simply removing the ability to edit is just going to hamper the ability to use the forum for the majority that won't abuse it all because of the few who might abuse it.

Any feature can be abused if the situation is right and the ability is there so it's just a hazard that come with owning a forum. I wouldn't stop anyone from editing their own post as they should be able to edit their posts if they feel the need to do so.

Big Dan and Ashley.S. like this.
  7. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

My community has never had a problem with people complaining about the edit feature. Why? I up'd it before so its around two weeks to a month, which is more than enough for anyone posting.

8. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

Since vBulletin has the post edit history feature I'm a lot more confortable with having a longer edit window. Mine is set to something like 24 hours.

I see it this way; It saves me me time by cutting down on requests to edit typos and such when the time limit is 15-20 minutes.

9. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

I agree. Being you can see the history of the edits I do not even have a time limit on mine on most sites I run with vbulletin. If they want to edit their posts I see nothing against them doing it. They are of course my members and the site is for them. So I trust them to keep whatever they are doing in check.

Ashley.S. likes this.