Advertising question: How much advertising is too much?

Discussion in 'Community Showcase' started by Glcameron, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Glcameron

Glcameron The Social Media Guru You Go To

We've all accessed a site with information we found was relevant to our search only to find our popup blocker going into a frenzy and our screens consumed with ads from every marketing company imaginable only to find the content we wanted tucked in the center. I've considered creating a blog network and an ezine but the question remains how much advertising is too much?

How many media advertising networks do you have on your site?

Google Adsense lost it's place as the only game in town a long time ago. With the influx of marketing sites offering payouts for ads in texts, photos and ad space, how do you consolidate the amount of space you'll allow utilized on your site without compromising the overall appeal to the reader?

Big al likes this.
  2. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

I try to keep the ads relevant to the forum. Members don't have nearly as much of an issue with ads when they're relevant.
    I also refuse to use anything that interferes with a member's ability to use the site unobstructed.
    I simply won't use ads which block pages or prevent navigation.
    Header, Footer, Sidebar ... those are the only ads I use.
    Not only do advertisers expressly prevent the solicitation of members to click on ads but there is a line between what members consider acceptable and what they consider a big pain in the ass.
    If members have to close pop-ups or wait X seconds for something to close to view content they will look for another site.

Big al and Glcameron like this.
  3. Big al

Big al Regular Member

I think that people understand that in order to have free things they will be paid for with advertising. However much of the advertising is becoming very intrusive.

I object to places like Google monitoring my surfing in order to push ads at me.

4. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

How much advertising is too much? Personally, I say the answer to that is when the advertising overtakes the page. So in other words, keep your ads to simple ones in the header/sidebar/footer, don't use those stupid infolinks style ads that wreck the page content and generally don't use annoying ads.

Pop ups = No

Ads that automatically play sound = No

Ads that slide or move across the page = No

Flash ads that nearly crash your browser = No

I'd honestly say it's best to keep it to three or four ad units per page, and to avoid anything listed here:

http://admin-talk.com/resources/7-types-of-website-ads-that-will-drive-away-visitors.18/

5. Sylvain

Sylvain Regular Member

I like to keep things simple. One rotating banners spot on the header and one on the footer.

Maybe I get less money but at least my forum looks clean and attractive

6. thebrad

thebrad Regular Member

I don't think there is "too" much advertising as i feel you should just advertise everywhere you can because then people find out about your site and start to tell friends if they enjoy using the site thats how my site became a bit more popular from advertisement everywhere :D