Admin Abuse

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Michael, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Have you been abused due to your position as an administrator on your own forums, like have you been insulted at all, had any threats made anything which you could consider admin abuse :) Share your experiences with us.

On our forums we have had all kinds of insults especially from members of other forums who are in competition. We have threads on other sites with all kinds of lies about our forums, mainly competitors having a fit which only leads to more exposure for us anyway (Yes, hope youre reading this :)), people saying we followed them on Twitter after banning them when they actually followed us, members of other forums saying ours would "Blow away like a leaf" rofl, there is hundreds of examples I could give and a lot of it where its been direct to us within PM's, visitor messages etc, we have what some people would call "haters", the jealous types ;)

2. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Nothing that I would call abuse, but occasionally I'll hear that assumptions have been made that aren't true. They weren't malicious, just ignorant.

3. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

All the time, everyday, almost every second. From outsiders anyways, a lot of the members, I think, appreciate what I do.

4. Nick

Nick Regular Member

No, it has never happened. I don't know how long I could last if it did though.

I better be good. :D

5. dynastygal

dynastygal Regular Member

Plenty in my time....I've been called a dictator, when I hardly ban anyone XD

6. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Isn't it funny how different forum members can have diametrically opposing viewpoints about us as admins? Half might think we're dictatorial while the other half thinks we're too soft on rule breakers.

7. dynastygal

dynastygal Regular Member

Or one minute we're wonderful admins, but the minute they get punished in anyway it's DICTATOR !

8. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Yes, those are the same ones who want to kick out people with opposing viewpoints but if you edit one of their posts it's CENSORSHIP!

9. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Those members are usually the ones who feel as if they "rule" the community, aren't they?

10. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Funny thing, I had one of my members in Pisoga say something close to that.

Funny, no? Makes me laugh when people who "insult" find themselves thinking they need to because the community needs them. Lol.

11. tryfuhl

tryfuhl Champion

First Name:
    Shawn
    Sure, here and there, sometimes more often than others. Doesn't bother me really.

12. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Yes - in order to protect the "well-being" of the community, it's absolutely necessary to insult the administrator(s). :lol:

13. torque

torque Regular Member

LOL - anytime someone gets banned... OR... when something doesn't go their way!

14. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Does the community respond to members being banned, or are you referring to the actual banned member(s)?

15. DamienDarwick

DamienDarwick Newcomer

First Name:
    Damien
    Most of the time I've had good experiences, but I had one forum that was a complete freaking nightmare :(( So yeah its happened before.

16. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Good question; I'm curious to know as well. It could easily be both - the banned member and the community - that react to banishment. It must be tough to manage so many people who lash out at once.