A Big-Boards Alternative

Discussion in 'Marketplace and Exchanges' started by Tyler, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    Well, unfortunately, it's true - Big-Boards is very unreliable nowadays. www.Big-Boards.com is a site that I, and I'm sure many others, used to find very useful. It is a shame that it rarely gets updated anymore.

Surprisingly, however, there doesn't seem to be any other sites with the sole purpose of listing the biggest forum communities on the internet.

I think that this would be a great project to start; creating a Big-Boards alternative, that would be, of course, free, reliable, fast, detailed, and up-to-date.

What do you think? Would anyone be interested in building it with me? It could have a nice, glossy Web 2.0 theme, be very organized and categorized in many ways, and just mainly be a very useful tool for the administrator community as a whole.

2. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
  3. Daniel

Daniel Regular Member

Colossal Communities is good. I like alliteration. ;)

4. Webmist

Webmist Champion

First Name:
    Jen
    add creative and you would have the 3 C's to see the community with.

5. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    Assuming I can pull it off, I think doing this is a very good idea.

I have a very nice design in mind already and have plenty ideas for optimizing the actual forum listing.

The only thing about that name, Daniel, is that it seems kind of long. I like alliteration as well, and that's what I hope to use for the name. Just something funner and shorter.

6. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    I came up with another name in addition to tons of amazing ideas for this. This is something that I wouldn't expect to be live until the holiday season. If I did do this I am going to take my time and put a lot of work into it insuring all of my ideas are just how I want them. This will be a very innovative site compared to Big-Boards.

7. TVDinner

TVDinner Newcomer

Just noticed this thread so sorry if it is old.

We already created the alternative you mentioned and it has really taken off. It is called The Biggest Boards and you can see it at http://www.TheBiggestBoards.com
    In about 3 months over 1400 forums have submitted to be in the directory and on the big list and take advantage of all of the resources on the site (webmaster forums, blog, etc). The site has an Alexa ranking of 158,000 and has been dropping a ton each week. Pretty exciting.

The main difference with our site is that forums OF ALL SIZES are welcome. Makes no difference if you have 1 post of 10 billion posts. Every site can submit and are instantly added. The entire site is automated and the stats are updated 4 times a day

check it out if you have a chance and definetely add your forum. It is completely free and no backlinks ever required.

8. Daniel

Daniel Regular Member

Hey TV Dinner, looks pretty good!

9. AllMyForums

AllMyForums Novice

I've created a free forum directory that could be an alternative. but I'm not focusing on "big" boards. I'll share when/if I'm allowed. I like to know peoples thoughts.