4.0.2 is out

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Abomination, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

In case anyone still wants the latest version of vb.

2 people like this.
  2. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I'm still happy with 3.8 :)

3. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

3.8 works great for me for my forums.

Unfortunately I was hoping to make my forums a bit more than just forums.

4. 3Phase

3Phase Champion

Me! I'm slogging along with all the 'improvements.' :D

Except wait ... just 5 days ago they they posted that they would delay to allow astounding quality to be fully integrated into 4.0.2. Bit surprised to see Don Kuramura posting the release so soon after the wordy explanation for an indeterminate delay.

2/12/10 Kevin Sours posted in the vb announcements, below probably 300 words of Adventures in Coding ... I thought all this meant "much later." I even pos-repped him that I appreciated the emphasis on getting it right.

"[FONT=&quot]As a consequence, our schedule became unpredictable and we've had to revise our release dates a couple of times as a result.

We hope you understand and we appreciate your patience while we make the new release the best we can before releasing it."[/FONT]

Are Kevin Sours & Don Kuramura going to the same meetings?

But I have a feeling it is better not to ask. Just upload the thing and keep on ... :sheep: :drink:

5. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

You have much more ambition than I.

I don't have the enthusiasm to even report the spam posts on vb.com these days...

6. Mikey

Mikey Mikeylicio.us

Heh, It's still a trainwreck, who would've guessed it? ;)

7. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

It is indeed yet another disaster of a release.

I am amazed the outcry is not even greater.

The vB forums seem to be full of people who set up their board a month ago, have 6 members and 50 posts, and think vB4 is wonderful. Which is fine in itself, but they then accuse every complainer of "whining" and tell them to "use something else if you don't like it".

It's becoming almost as frustrating visiting vbulletin.com as it is trying to make sense of vB4's stylevars.

8. tech

tech Regular Member

I wonder what 4.1 will bring us...

A highly doubt it would be as feature rich as IPB 3.1

9. Mikey

Mikey Mikeylicio.us

Isn't this the type of Negative Posting that against Forum Rules - vBulletin Community Forum ?

Rule 1:

I'd say stuff such as "use something else if you don't like it" is definitely inflammatory, so just report the posts, quoting that rule. :ohi:

10. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

You're right, but I think a great many of us are so worn down with it all that we're rather past caring.

I have very little interest now in the company or its flawed new product. I must have been naive - I thought vB was so powerful it would last forever, but I was wrong. The sad fact is, it's been sold to an inept company with a pretty poor track record, and this has borne itself out in vBulletin. In short - the new owners do not have a clue how to handle the product or its customers. For a while, this was ok, because Kier was were running the show and Mike and Scott (who I should mention by name, as requested by Kier himself on this very forum) were still there too, so everything ticked along as it always had.

I will go so far as to say that had Kier, Mike and Scott remained on the project, then the licensing changes would not have mattered. The company would have ultimately "got away" with that, because the product was so good. vB4 driven by Kier, Mike and Scott would have been well worth the money and most people would have been happy. People would talked in the future about how Internet Brands did such a good job of buying vB because they kept it running so well and kept its reputation intact.

But no. Somehow, the management ended up losing Kier, Mike and Scott. Resulting in the train wreck we have now. Yet heads do not roll.

11. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    You know why the outcry isn't too bad this time? The vocal people have long since moved on the other products and the big board owners won't touch vbulletin. The only ones left are the newbies that didn't know any better and think vbulletin 4 is the tits. Heck even IB hasn't upgraded any of the big sites. A few smaller ones where converted for show.

12. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Any neither is vBulletin.org, even after they did say they would upgrade to vBulletin 4 after it went Gold release. That just about says it all really, that even their own vB modding site isn't even using it still. Even though we're way past Gold now I might add.

When they was asked why they wasn't upgrading from vBulletin 3.6 to 3.7 -3.8. The excuse given was that they would wait until vBulletin 4 went gold instead (there words not mine).

Exactly, all the seasoned vBulletin users have gone now, all they have left are newbies who know no better (but think they do).

Compare the activity now on the vBulletin Forums compared to before Internet Brands took over. The place is a Ghost Town now in comparison.

13. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

This isn't entirely fair. vb.org does not upgrade due to the huge amount of work the volunteer stuff would have to undertake. Paul M has explained this many times. I don't recall anyone on there stating they would definitely upgrade after 4 went Gold, Paul certainly hasn't said that, I think he has said they may move to it in the future but that it is a lot of work.

There is no need for them to upgrade quickly - vbulletin.org is not there to showcase the software, it is there to showcase modifications, something it does very well, and for all the faults it may nor may not have, it remains the premier resource for this.

14. Trip

Trip Novice

That's a broad statement. Who are you referring to are the "newbies who know no better (but think they do)"? Is it customers who use vB4? Or vBulletin in general?