2 Laptop Displays

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by tech, Feb 1, 2010.

1. tech

tech Regular Member

Ok..

So i have 2 laptops, One which i use for gaming and one that i DID use until i got my new one, Until now i've had no use for it but i thought the other day "why dont i connect them both and extend the display on them and play Modern Warfare 2 on both screens?"

Well i tried today and it failed, a quick google showed that you cant using a standard VGA cable which fits into both of my laptops, I did manage to do this over the network but that was so slow and using a program called MaxiVista which i dont really want to use as its slow.

Is there anyway i can do it using my VGA cable or another way? My main laptop im on now is running 64bit Win7 and my other is 32bit Vista.

2. fattony69

fattony69 Regular Member

I believe it is impossible. Back a few months ago, I tried this and couldn't get this to work.

3. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I wouldn't know how to do this, but in a recent PC World issue, they recommended MaxiVista to accomplish this. But you say you did and it was slow, so I guess that's not a viable option.

4. tech

tech Regular Member

Yeah, MaxiVista is through an Internet Connection so it was going slow and suddenly just stopped working, If you could do it via VGA cable or something ALOT faster for games and such it would be alot better..But i don't see why it doesn't work, I guess both computers want to be the main display unlike a monitor.

5. paulh

paulh Novice

Your VGA port attaches to graphics card chips on your motherboard. They are made for pumping data out only and have no chips to allow the receipt of information. VGA to VGA is not going to work

6. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    get a new 19" lcd monitor( for 100$), you can't use a laptop screen for that AFAIK

7. tech

tech Regular Member

I know what you mean, But you can have VGA to VGA as i can hook my laptop (VGA) to my TV port (VGA)

Dont really want to buy another monitor because it wasn't going to be a long term thing i just reeeeeeeeaaaaalllllyyyyyyyyy wanted to play games on 2screens =)