What you should do to run a successful forum

1. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

Read the rest of the resource here
    http://admin-talk.com/resources/13/

2. benjaminp

benjaminp Regular Member

There appears to be two number nines :)

The second number nine's (number 10's) rules you copied in gave me a giggle. Mainly because I've actually met forum admins like that.

3. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    thanks, updated

4. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

Glad to see everyone likes the article. I'd post some more, but I'm currently out of article ideas to post on any admin sites at present.

Brandon likes this.
  5. DRE

DRE Regular Member

Reminds me of some other forum*. One of the moderators went behind my every post and edited them so that she can 'read it better' (wtf)...

* forum name removed upon request ~ Monster

6. Superboy

Superboy Most Likely, I'm Insane.

:D
    very good post :) learned some new stuff!

7. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

One thing that I do is credit the source when I'm using something from another site. Hey, its another link back to them. As long as you add more content to thread itself, outside of what's quoted, there's no big deal right?

8. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

Oh, and while I'm sorry for bumping this topic, I'd like to add a few details I forgot:

Alphascript/Betascript publishing's 'business' is basically copy and pasting Wikipedia articles in book form... by taking the first few hundred articles listed alphabetically. Here's what I mean (blog article about it):

http://www.chrisrand.com/blog/index...alphascript-publishing-betascript-publishing/

Yeah, I doubt anyone falls for it, not with titles like Vreni Schneider: Annemarie Moser-Pröll, FIS Alpine Ski World Cup, Winter Olympic Games, Slalom Skiing, Giant Slalom Skiing, Half Man Half Biscuit. But basically, don't do that, it makes you look like an idiot.

As for illegal downloads as 'incentive to join', this is surprisingly common with sites dedicated to Square Enix series like Final Fantasy for some strange reason. For example, KH Insider seems to only be about 40% Kingdom Hearts related now, with about three quarters of the content dedicated to music downloads, ringtones, phone wallpaper and anything else even remotely considered 'media'. I'll say this, it doesn't make a site look particularly professional.

9. johnthomas1433

johnthomas1433 Regular Member

The first measure that you mentioned arises when the website uses spun content. It shall not make sense to us, because that's the way its been constructed.

10. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

This. If all a forum can do is to steal content from other sources it's doomed from the outset.
    Seven million different forums, every idiot on twitter, and every douchebag on Facebook just reported the same thing at the same time. But somehow it's supposed to be unique when X site does it?

11. Jessi

Jessi Regular Member

Yeah, that rather drives me nuts.

I don't mind 'borrowing' content from time to time when it's clearly worded best there and unnecessary for it to be re-worded, etc. I would rather simply a link to the Wikipedia article, though, or a short excerpt.

12. LiquidServe

LiquidServe Regular Member

Well those are great tips. I would really like to emphasize the point that there is no need to copy blog posts... This will severely hit your site's SEO.

13. WEfail

WEfail Regular Member

this is the one thing that drives me crazy...

12. Unreadable Captchas used on sign up

cpvr likes this.
  14. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Especially on a new forum. This just turns me away from joining their community. A question/answer system is better.

15. rafalp

rafalp Regular Member

I dont agree with #9. Sure, if you are running forum for people who are in web-dev some of them may point this out to you, but I am yet to see somebody say "That theme is awesome balls! I must join!" or "Eee... default theme, not registering!".

Its more than that when you are propably only guy registered who knows this trade, eg. on cars or cats forums. In fact experience teaches me that as long as your site is SFW and doesn't require marine scout snipers to read, users will use it and don't care how it looks, and fact that it looks same as other 1312321 sites means nothing to them.

16. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    dang it, I messed up the first post when I removed the attachments

17. xHysteria

xHysteria Regular Member

Number 1 - Never place ads somewhere in awkward places.
    They are a huge turn-off to your site. I try my best to keep them in good positions.

xHysteria.

18. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

I fixed up the images. In case of future stuff happening, I uploaded them to Dropbox instead of as attachments, mostly.

Brandon likes this.
  19. fermlour

fermlour Regular Member

Now I understand why some of my blogs do not succeed!
    Thank you for the tips!

20. avantidesai

avantidesai Regular Member

I would like to add plagiarism as a very important factor that determines whether you are posting genuine and original data on the internet or not.