Your ultimate Control Center - A brainstorming experience

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Wayne Luke, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

So if you could design the Control Center, Admin CP, Dashboard etc... for your site what would the ultimate one be? Describe your ultimate experience for a dashboard and control system for your use. What features would it have? Notes? RSS Feeds? Statistics? What kind of interface would it have? Customizable? Drag and drop?

If anything was possible with today's web development technology, what would it be?

Looking forward to your answers.

2. Velocity

Velocity Newcomer

I want collapse tables on usergroup permissions. I am so tired of scrolling through two billion permissions looking for the one little setting that I need to change.

3. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Uhh, well basically something like MyBB but more specific like vB.

Easy to navigate, stylish, efficient... Collapsible options, like in settings it would have the settings of each plugin you've installed and the general board settings and so on. The navigation would be separated like

Dashboard|Board Configuration|Design & Templates|Forum & Post Management|User & Group management| Ideas/Suggestion Section [Staff only]|Maintenance

4. John

John Regular Member

I want one that looks really good and have very detailed statistic not completly like Google Analytics but maybe not far from that.

5. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Some sort of customization feature is sorely needed, so the admin can arrange things more efficiently for their work process. Though drag-and-drop is pretty, I hope there would also be an alternate way of arranging things for people with less coordination or Javascript turned off... maybe the way forums are arranged by number?

We also need a bulk delete/edit members function.

6. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I (along with others) would like to see a customizable administrative interface - the ability to "drag-and-drop" various sections, re-arrange configurations, and customize the interface overall would be fantastic.

Don't get me wrong - I love the interfaces offered today. I'd just like to see them "taken to the next level". :)

7. Cole

Cole Addict

First Name:
    Cole
    I would love something like this: jsDesk: A JavaScript Desktop Web Application | Desktop | \m/

The public school systems in West Virginia adopted a similar system to show student's grades, attendance, teachers notices, google docs, and the like.

I could not find a good example of it (that JS Desk is not very quality), but that would an excellent solution that would allow the administrator to work with different aspects of the forum concurrently and intuitively. This would be especially helpful in developing for a system, in that I could have the phrasing window, options window, templating window, and the like all up at one time in one window.

8. torque

torque Regular Member

I would like collapsable usergroup permissions it is bloody annoying when you have to scroll through forever to find the one usergroup permission you have to change.

9. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I'd like to see something like this universally implemented (meaning across a wide variety of forum software scripts - not just vBulletin). An interface with such a capability would be fantastic.

10. Nick

Nick Regular Member

There definitely needs to be some sort of permissions revamp. It's such a pain to deal with it the way it currently is set up. I don't know of an easier way (maybe table/grid layout like MyBB is better?) but it certainly isn't very easy to use in its current format.

Other than that, some way to customize the arrangement of the AdminCP certainly is something I would appreciate. There is a modification for vBulletin that accomplishes this, but I have yet to try it out.

11. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    I would love if the vBulletin AdminCP was built into the forum like the UserCP is.

12. Imperial

Imperial Adept

Highly customizable drag & drop interface so each admin can arrange for the tools they use most. Throw in a revamped usergroup permission system so I don't have to go through 45+ usergroups for 200+ forums and I would be estatic. I also wouldn't mind some custom tweaking for the styles like "most edited templates" so admins can quickly get back to the templates that they make modifications to the most. Small thing I know, but since I've been styling the past 4 days, I really wish it was easier to get to the postbit_legacy in a hurry!

13. Chris

Chris Regular Member

That'd be a rather unique concept - I wouldn't mind seeing something like that.

14. Cole

Cole Addict

First Name:
    Cole
    It would be unique. Nonetheless, if you ended up totally destroying your template by not closing an important tag or something along those lines--you could distort your Administration control panel.

15. kev

kev Regular Member

It would be a mix between wordpress and vbulletin. I like a left column with just about all of the major options displayed without having to dig.

A poor example, at least to me anyway, is the smf forum control panel. Its confusing, and the permissions is really, really confusing. When you click an option on the left, you might have several major options displayed under that one. I found myself not being able to find a simple setting, and digging for what seemed like an hour.

Drop and drag would be nice - that way I can arrange things like I want them.

16. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Lol e.e Since I've seen IPB, vB and MyBB, dude a combination of all of them would be awesome.

The simpleness yet accessibility of MyBB, the resourcefulness and abilities of vB and the style and modern look of IPB+the way to change/edit styles.

17. Chris

Chris Regular Member

A "killer" combination, so to speak. :D

18. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Pwnsome~ Dude, seriously, it would be awesome. o.o/ If some of you work on one of these companies think about it! A combination of all these software's is like a BOMB.

EDIT: Not to mention I would buy it[forum script] even if my mom doesn't wanna give me money. Sheesh, I would die of happiness, Lemme see if I can give these ideas to MyBB x.x

19. Vekseid

Vekseid Regular Member

It's hardly unique - it's exactly what SMF does.

20. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

When you see those three boards like I did then you tell me if they look like SMF.