What Would Be Your Advice in this Situation?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by MrC123, Aug 10, 2013.

1. MrC123

MrC123 Regular Member

First Name:
    Chris
    I work for a network that owns 3 forums. Currently 1 forum is up, but hasn't been launched yet. It's a general discussion forum. Our other two forums will be Wrestling and Politics.
    Our network has been interested in teaming up with another forum to help us create the Political forum. I was on TAZ (The Admin Zones) and I noticed a user who use to own a political forum but had to close it do to his life issues. Well, I contacted him on his new community forum and asked them if they'd be interested.

The Current Deal is as follow, we'd provide the forum software and they will provide the hosting and domain. We also use our staff team.

In terms of advertising, they will use their blog which gets many users in to promote the forum

We have a meeting scheduled for next Saturday, what would be your advice?

2. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Seems fishy to me. Had to close the forum because of life issues yet leaves the blog open. It take way more work to run a blog then it does to manage a forum. I would have done the other way and close the blog or better yet link the blog to the forum and leave the forum online. You can find staff to make your life easier.

If you have your own hosting tell him you'll run everything from your server and all he needs to supply is a link from the blog to the forum. That's the way I would do it.

3. MrC123

MrC123 Regular Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Well he mentioned that his wife was very ill and is still ill at the moment. The forum was very successful and had hundreds of members within weeks of it's opening. We honestly can't handle creating a forum of this genre alone, and yes ,the owner of the forums I work for has his own hosting site.

May I ask why would we went to host it?

4. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    To protect yourself. If he decides he has time to run a forum again then he has all the files plus the database and you have nothing for your hard work.

I have seen it happen before. People partner on a site. One person decides they no longer want a partner. This person demotes his partners and since he was doing the hosting he keeps everything.

5. MrC123

MrC123 Regular Member

First Name:
    Chris
    That's a good point. Thanks for your advice. I greatly appreciate your advice.

6. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    You're welcome.