What can we do to counter the perception that being forum staff is glamorous?

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by Soliloquy, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I see a common theme emerging from other threads; members associate the moderator and administrator positions with popularity, and want them for themselves. Sometimes they can't handle it when it becomes work or they're asked to do something unpleasant like discipline their friends. What can we do to counter the impression that a moderatorship is an easy way to gain status?

2. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

I am so paying attention to this thread. Some users just by seeing the raids they know how hard being a mod is, but a user has to be present during these raids.

3. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

And if the mods are working hard to keep the trolls away, the average user might not ever see their posts, or the spam, and think it must not happen often.

4. tryfuhl

tryfuhl Champion

First Name:
    Shawn
    Show them the nagging that you get in PMs and other correspondence lol

show them an example of the moderator log/what happens behind the scenes

let them know that it's something that they have to be pretty productive to do

2 people like this.
  5. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I think it's hilarious to see how some members think - being a member of the staff team does not necessarily mean that you can sit on a high horse and do absolutely nothing. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

As Shawn mentioned, showing them real-life examples of what actually goes on "behind the scenes" is probably one of the best methods.

6. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

How can this be done without insulting some members? I know in the long run, someone is bound to get offended but is there a way to reduce the probability?

7. 3Phase

3Phase Champion

No, you can't save unreasonable people from being unreasonably offended. Don't get inside the heads of those people, you'll end up as silly as they are. ;) :)

There's no way to counter the 'glamorous' perception. There are people who want to think that someone else who is no more deserving than they are has it better. They believe that celebrities and millionaires are happy, that people more successful than they are didn't work for it, that mods are cool because of their sunglasses not their ability, and so on and on. That if someone tapped them with the mod wand or the millionaire wand they would immediately become just as cool. They don't want to do the work, they want to be one of the cool people - because they think they aren't now. There's no stopping them, you'd have to change their entire worldview, it would cost a fortune and years and years of counseling. ;) :ohi:

IMO the best way to manage perceptions of who gets the crown of mod-dom and who doesn't is to never, ever get personal about it. Make selections based on careful assessments, never friendship. It will quickly be apparent to all the sensible people that the mods know what they are doing. The forum will then regard the mods well, and respond to their direction. People in groups do realize and respond when management is professional in attitude, and consistent.

It is also transparent to the group when leaders are selected for reasons other than their ability. The group responds accordingly. It's much easier to break such things than it is to fix them.

IMO pay attention to the sensible people, be nice to the silly ones, and it will all work out. And don't confuse one for the other. :yes: :cool:

2 people like this.
  8. Nick

Nick Regular Member

As always, an excellent response from Mary. :thumbup:

I don't think there is a way to counter this perception. The key is to prevent it before it even happens. How? Select the right people for the job. Mary mentioned the difference between "friends" or silly members and "the sensible members" -- and she's right on.

If you monitor your members very closely (which you should be doing), then you can tell who is serious, who is not, and can then identify which members are the best candidates for moderators.

It's all about the selection. You can't blame a moderator for the misconception if you're the one who hired/recruited them. It must be lack of communication on your part in terms of job description.

9. 3Phase

3Phase Champion

You know I did think of something ... it won't stop sniping by those who've already decided they live underneath a cruel layer of Eloi ... but it probably will stop 'volunteers' who don't really want to tax themselves. :)

Periodically post recognitions and kudos for mods and their mod work, pumping the 'work.' Put in just enough particulars "... all the hours they put into this ..." "... as always a brilliant suggestion to make this better ..." to discourage those who have no intention of giving your forum hours or brilliance. Post as periodically as you feel is needed for whatever sniffer is wanting a mod title. ;)

Not yet so much on the forum, but in other irl settings, I've done this to craftily avoid telling some over-ambitious but lazy person "no." The equivalent of showing someone a shovel with their name on it. In the non-forum settings this always worked to shoo away potential hangers-on. :D

10. Dan

Dan Future Proof

First Name:
    Dan
    I glamorise the positions intentionally to a degree. I encourage my members to 'climb' the ladder and would love to see one day that loads of the regulars are moderators. They get to understand how the place is managed that way and they manage it well.

Generally we don't dish out many infractions and what-not. We'll either love you as a member, or you'll get banned permanently for being a silly sausage. Often with plenty of personal touch warnings (a private message at least, I've even called a few on the phone - often I'll email them which takes them from the forum for a moment while I see what it is they're up to).

But yeah, I would never want to remove the glorification from the moderators roles. I think it would have an adverse effect and respect could be lost from the moderators.

(Though I wouldn't call it glorification or glamour, I'd call it respect I think).