Thread Bumping

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Michael, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Michael

Michael Regular Member

What is the best way to enforce your thread bumping guidelines? We dont want to install a post merger etc as the problem isnt with double posting to get a threads attention it is necro bumping and it is something were seeing a truck load of new members do, were considering auto locking them somehow maybe with a mod but we allow thread bumping in all of our non-advice forums like our games forums where it doesnt matter.

It is getting to the point where new members are seeing these bumped old threads and bumping them even further more!

Any advice? Thank you :)

2. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

no advice here, since I allow thread bumping of old threads, for the mostpart. I've really never understood not allowing it if the info is pertinent to today.

3. kev

kev Regular Member

I dont have any rules on thread bumping, so there is nothing to enforce.

4. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Its a problem for us when new members are posting new threads to have them pushed back onto the second page because someone new has bumped up say 50 old threads that our current members have already replied to thus making it look like theres nothing new within whatever forum. This is why we need to have some rules on it to prevent it as much as possible sadly.

These threads are old advice threads where the member has had advice from people in the past making the new advice threads go ignored a lot of the time.

5. kneel

kneel Regular Member

maybe try locking a few of them to get your point across...

put it in the rules as a zero tolerance policy...usually if you put it in BOLD BLACK or BOLD RED members take it serious..

just a thought ya know..

6. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

7. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Thanks for the ideas both of you. We could use a notice but it shouldnt really be neccessary. We will just have to start locking them after a certain period.

8. Kakeru

Kakeru Addict

I allow it as long as it's a non-spam post and isn't a dated topic (someone's birthday, etc.)

9. Nick

Nick Regular Member

There's a vBulletin modification that will auto-lock threads after a certain time period. I've seen it used on another forum.

10. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I've seen that mod also, but couldn't find it the other night when I was looking for it. (I only looked in the 3.8 section though.)

11. Nick

Nick Regular Member

12. tryfuhl

tryfuhl Champion

First Name:
    Shawn
    Yep, that's one way to do it. You have to figure out if it's good for your community or not.. If you get a lot of people in through search engines they may have a question on the thread that they came in on.. if it's locked they might not bother to make a new thread

13. Rocket81

Rocket81 Newcomer

First Name:
    John
    If its important...24 hrs.

14. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

If I ever have to bump a thread, I always write a little something on how the situation may have changed since my last post or how badly I need the information. Just so the forum owner knows I have a reason for doing so other than impatience.

15. Chris

Chris Regular Member

That's a great idea - making them aware of the situation and the reasoning behind the bump. :)

16. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Yes, I've never gotten in trouble for bumping a thread, even when the forum owner had rules against it. As long as you communicate your reasons for doing so (and sometimes apologize in advance), people are generally understanding.

17. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I think this is something that many members fail to do and, because of it, get in trouble. If we were to all effectively communicate our intentions clearly, such scenarios could be avoided [almost] entirely. A simple thread bump can be innocent - but how and/or why?

A simple explanation will do the trick.