Switching from IPv4 to IPv6

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by pixelek, Feb 24, 2015.

1. pixelek

pixelek Regular Member

From what I see going on recently, there is more and more customers who decides to go with IPv6. They - however - do buy at least one IPv4 address to serve as 'gate' between them and rest of the world.

From technical point, IPv6 is quite tricky to configure, but - once well-configured - its almost hassle-free. And thats main advantage over IPv4. Another thing is its flexibility.

We (ISP) will soon be switching our core infrastructure to IPv6 and we will leave IPv4 behind. For now, customers can have both IPv4 and IPv6 enabled and they can use both.

There are plans for our free public wifi internet within Torun's old town to switch to IPv6 only, but its heavilly discused for now.....

What doi you think about IPv6?

2. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I've been using for a while. My sites are IPv6 enabled. It's not going to be long before the whole internet is on it so I started early on to prepare.

pixelek likes this.
  3. Wonko

Wonko Regular Member

First Name:
    Stuart
    What is IPv4 and IPv6 for a none tech person??

4. pixelek

pixelek Regular Member

To keep it short: IP serves as online identity - identifies your computer just as your name indentifies you. One computer = one (public) IP. V4 and v6 are its versions 4 & 6 respectively.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv4 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6