New Members -- Welcome Forum

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by drumming207, Jun 23, 2009.

1. drumming207

drumming207 Adept

Hey Everyone,

I did a search, but I didn't find anything regarding a "New Members" Forum. Personally, I don't like them. Does anyone have a place for new member introductions / welcomes, etc.?

I think it's a nice way for new members to feel welcomed, but it gets awfully redundant. However, I don't want new members to feel like they are not welcomed by a lot of the other members.

Any suggestions would be great!

2. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    I believe I was the one that made a similar thread, but I don't mind.

It's usually something I try to have in some way or another. If I'm not going to have a whole forum for any particular reason, I may have a special thread for it. It does get quite repetitive and annoying when you have a whole forum for it, but it's usually not a big deal in a thread.

3. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

We have a single sticky thread. The people put up a little resume, share a bit about themselves and everyone gets responded to.

It is a big help for the staff later on when figuring why people post a certain way to know a little bit about them.

4. Michael

Michael Regular Member

We have Introductions forums on our boards. Yes, we could replace it with a sticky but it is our own preference of setup :)

5. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

I have a forum for intros. I feel that it's important, at least on a general chat forum, and most members are willing to intro themselves and say hi.

6. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

I've currently got a forum for introductions though I feel this to be a waste of space. I'm debating whether to just use a stickied thread in the off_topic area.

7. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

I've often thought about doing the same on my designs site. I may yet...

8. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

For me it's a 50/50 decision. Normally, I'm certain about the kind of forums I want to implement and the ones that would better serve as a thread.

The cons I see in introductory based threads is that you tend to miss some introductions once the thread spans to vast amount of pages.

The Pros are that you have limited the amount of scrolling on the index, but on the other hand have one forum in a category looks bare (which for me is the off-topic area.

I might make the introduction forum subforum to the (my) off-topic area. I'm merely thinking out loud here, and typing on the offchance some may want to do the same and make similiar changes to their forum structure.

Edit: But then when someone makes an introduction you loose the lastpost view on the index for the off-topic are or whatever forum you subforum the introduction area to. Choices choices. :)

edit: I need to style.

9. kev

kev Regular Member

Yes, I have an introductions section and a sub-forum for connections and get togethers. That way if you are looking to meet people in your area, go to those two forum sections and browse through it.

10. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Personally, I feel that an "introductions" forum is crucial.

When a newly registered member logs in for the first time, it's a bit daunting - he/she is a new member of an already established community where existing members know each other and heavy discussion takes place. Because of this, it is sometimes difficult for him/her to "jump" right in to the discussion and feel comfortable. By allowing newly registered members to post an introduction thread in a dedicated forum, you are allowing them to comfortably post in an area in which existing members will welcome them warmly.

11. drumming207

drumming207 Adept

Thanks for the thoughtful replies! :D

12. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

An Introduction forum is pretty much a must; people like having this type of social cue as to how they can break the ice and start fitting in. I also like to suggest things they can put in their introductions so they have an easier time figuring out what to say.

13. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Me too.

We send a welcome email & welcome PM to people with link to the introduction thread. In addition people who have yet to make their first post get a 'notice' suggesting they introduce themselves and provide a link.

14. Justin S.

Justin S. Regular Member

I couldn't have said it better myself.

15. tryfuhl

tryfuhl Champion

First Name:
    Shawn
    I can agree with this. You can always give a small group a "welcoming committee" designation with whatever perks that you choose.

A lot of people won't jump into the conversation because they do not feel like they fit in.