Most annoying part of administration

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Nick, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

What do you find to be the most annoying part of your forum administration experiences? I'm sure some of you love it all and will have no answer, but there's got to be something that you hate doing, but can't avoid... :D

For me, it's probably finding a way to creatively deal with members who are active parts of the community, but continue to cause trouble time and time again. Just when you think they've straightened up, they surprise you. :P

2. paulh

paulh Novice

people who seem oblivious to the fact that there are other users of the forum who might have differing expectations from the forum and that Joe Moderator is sat in the middle and expected to be fair to everyone. As moderator/admin you have to try present a fair path for all and maybe compromise on what you individually think whereas most members take your posts or actions as being your 100% personal opinion. Often it might be my personal opinion but equally often it will be what is needed to be said or done to keep the board in balance. They do not have to consider that themselves in their posts and do not see it in yours.

3. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    when a good member all of a sudden becomes a troll

our rival up to naughty stuff

currently it is my co-admin leaving me without notice, and not giving me full permissions to take over the forum

4. kev

kev Regular Member

People reporting post that should not be reported. It seems that some members use the report post feature to try to get other members in trouble, like its their own personal agenda or something.

Also, member that complain when moderators do not read every single post the forum gets. Some members think moderators should read "every" post a forum gets. Then I have to take the time to explain how many post the forum gets, and how it would be impossible to read "everything".

5. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    that annoys me so much when people do that!

one person actually tried to start trouble with a mod by reporting loads of other peoples posts if they posted a tiny little thing that might have broken the rules....and a few of members they dont like and deleting their own, saying the mods are way too strict and are deleting posts for silly reasons

6. Tex

Tex Adept

First Name:
    Blake
    Without a doubt the most annoying part is dealing with members who are constant trouble and always like to challenge a moderators actions. This is magnified if they're an active user in the community who contributes a lot as Nick mentioned.

Members who report posts just because they disagree with it is annoying too and takes more time from your day to deal with them. Abuse the report system though and receive an infraction or ban yourself is our policy.

7. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

Styling.

8. MordyT

MordyT Grand Master

First Name:
    Mordy
    tbqh, I would expect my moderators to take a look at each thread and scan each post. They don't have to read each word, but if a person starts flaming someone else, it will jump out. If there are too many posts, then we need more mods.
    at least, imo

9. Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook Regular Member

Spambots.

10. Tex

Tex Adept

First Name:
    Blake
    You know, I enjoy the end result - but I agree with you here for sure! It can be very annoying.

11. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

Finding out that people expected something such as spoon feeding, when they have their own brain cells and fingers to work with.

12. Noles

Noles Adept

First Name:
    Ryan
    When something technical goes wrong that I just can't fix... that's all I hate about administration.

13. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Drama.

I know I'm guilty of being a drama king on everyone else's forum, but I hate it on mine.

Call me a hypocrite.

14. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

People having trouble registering. The activation emails do not always get to them, and not everyone knows they are supposed to click on a link in them.

The behavior issues can be handed by a mod, not the registrations though.

Also the names people want to use can be annoying.

15. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    Drama, it amazes me how adults can stoop so low and become teenage girls going through a wacky hormonal cycle.

16. crash1987

crash1987 Regular Member

Spam I can't stand it.

I also hate when a new major release of software comes out. Trying to find the mods and hope you can import their old data. Point releases aren't so bad but it's the big ones like vB3 to vB4 that I don't like doing and most of the time hold off a while on them. Also when there are big style changes that members will clearly notice that's a big one I dread. I remember a site that I was a member on, when it went from vB2 to vB3 you would have thought it was WW3.

17. The Geek

The Geek Novice

First Name:
    Mr. Geek
    Administration. :D

18. EdgeOfVanity

EdgeOfVanity Addict

First Name:
    Wayne
    Forum wars, without a doubt. Oh and skinning

19. Webmist

Webmist Champion

First Name:
    Jen
    Hi Sam, nice to see you around.

Skinning I love.

Disputes along with those wars. I hate it when members start fighting and try to bring the whole community into it.

20. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Trolling as well is annoying.