Help! My screen resolution is way out of whack...

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by Ben, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Ben

Ben Regular Member

Hey guys, think you could help me with this? Started after I rebooted my computer after Windows Updates...(look at attached screen shots)

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      159.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      95.6 KB
      Views:
  2. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

What the heck? I really don't know what might be causing that, but WOW. check your control panel...

3. Ben

Ben Regular Member

Hmm...Windows Support is useless...

4. Bundy

Bundy Admin Talk Staff

Looks like your drivers for your video card are whacked. Try updating them.

5. David

David Regular Member

Yea, try to uninstall your current video card drives and reinstall them.

6. kev

kev Regular Member

video card driver issue, or you have the colors set to something like 256 colors.

7. Ryan

Ryan Regular Member

Yah video card, screen resolution and color quality?

8. Ben

Ben Regular Member

Thanks guys...I reinstalled the drivers, and it worked great!

9. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Upgrade from XP and you won't have that issue anymore. Windows Vista and Windows 7 has a lot better driver support. You can still download the Windows 7 RC for free and use it until next year. Or if you buy the Windows Vista upgrade now, it comes with a free upgrade to Windows 7 in October.

10. kev

kev Regular Member

There is no "upgrade" from XP - its all downhill from there.

I see no reason to trade in my truck that get 15 - 18 miles per gallon, for a truck that gets 5 miles to the gallon. So what if the cd player in the other truck sounds better. The overall cost is too much to justify.

11. Bundy

Bundy Admin Talk Staff

Huh? Windows 7 is better then XP...

But you could always "update" to a better operating system... OS X :D

12. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I read in the newspaper the other day that it's a huge hassle (and almost impossible for a non-geek/expert) to upgrade from XP to Windows 7. You are better off just buying a new PC... which is sure what their whole plan is anyways: make it hard to upgrade so that they make more money with new PC purchases.

I'll tell you what though: the next computer I buy will be a Mac, and I can almost guarantee that. :D

13. Wayne Luke

Well Microsoft doesn't make as much money from PC sales. Bulk OEM prices of Windows is like $20.00 per unit when bought in lots of 1000 units. So you'd think they would want people to purchase the retail version which is about $60.00 in Microsoft's pocket per unit. The rest is lost in marketing, packaging, and shipping the software to distributors and then to stores. The store selling to the consumer makes about 30-40% of the final sales price. Probably why Microsoft is finally looking into its own retail store network.

Where was the article though? As the only real difference in upgrading from XP vs. Vista is that you need to use a new directory or disk partition. In Windows Vista, you insert the disk and the upgrade starts. It can upgrade the existing Windows installation. In XP, you need to insert the disk on reboot and follow the upgrade steps without booting into XP itself.

In both, as with any upgrade, you need to back up your documents and have your applications ready for installation just in case something goes wrong. This is good practice on Linux and OSX machines as well.

The best upgrade procedure would be to wipe the existing partition and install completely fresh whether you're using Vista or XP. This allows the new OS to reside on sequential blocks and be more stable.

As far as XP is concerned though, I'd never go back to that operating system. Even Windows Vista is a lot better on a properly configured system.

The only way I will use OS X is if it becomes hardware independent. Not paying for Apple's hardware when I can get the same thing for a third of the cost from others.

14. Nick

Nick Regular Member

15. David

David Regular Member

What a slanted load of crap that article is.

It's mentioning all the users who snapped up netbooks with XP on thatm (netbooks are worthless btw) that won't even be good enough to upgrade to Windows 7, yet they list all these problems with netbooks, as if Microsoft designed the netbooks. They also don't have CD drives, but I dont see that mentioned if someone wanted to install Mac or Linux to them..

Besides that, If users didn't update to windows Vista from XP, why would they upgrade to windows 7? Their machines won't even be powerful enough.

16. Wayne Luke

Yeah... It is over dramatizing the issue in my opinion. Of course sensationalism sells newspapers and its popular to hate Microsoft. I doubt most people will upgrade their $399 netbooks to Windows 7. Laptops and Desktops, yeah but Netbooks are more like cellphones. People don't usually mess with the OS on them.

XP Owners should get Mozy and be done with it. Actually all computer owners should have a service like Mozy at their beck and call.