Forum owner deletes 12.9 Million Posts

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by BamaStangGuy, May 6, 2014.

1. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

2. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Have you read the story why he did it, over that person and the threats she got for posting an article thread. Ridiculous that, they even tried to hack her bank account and sent her death threats and threats of being raped. Crazy!

Sounds as though reading, they've been allowing a lot of stuff on the forums they shouldn't have been doing, over time it's turned the forum into a poison place with what's listed and the owner has had enough, doesn't want his name or site domain linked with anymore, hence starting fresh.

Guess there was too much of it listed to start thinking about sieving through all the threads removing it all, so took the more drastic measure of doing this instead.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  3. Mark.B

Mark.B Regular Member

Don't blame him at all. I'm sick of the "mob rule" mentality on the internet. People think they can shout the loudest and get their own way, you even see it on admin forums to a much lesser degree.

Had this just been a matter of a few abusive posts I'd think he was overreacting, but given the seriousness of what's gone on, he's doing the right thing.

4. BamaStangGuy

Its his fault for letting it get to that point and its laziness on his part to throw away 12.9 million posts.

5. Mark.B

Mark.B Regular Member

I don't disagree and he has admitted that in the link you posted, but I can see why he feels it's better to start again.

6. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Have they restarted again as such? I mean, they have left the forum online (but locked the forums), they said staff are making a list. So that sounds to me as though they've locked that forum while mods clean it up and may then import topics from it to the new forum. It looks that way to me, like they've locked the forum down from further replies while the mods do their work.

7. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Regular Member

I certainly do blame the owner, it's entirely his fault and it appears he's compounding his failure by deleting everything which is worse than burning books. He's not just destroying 12.9 million posts, he's destroying the community which made those posts and it's entire history, something which can never be recovered. In short, he's not fit to be a forum owner.

8. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Regular Member

First Name:
    Jeroen
    By who's standard is he not fit to be a forum owner, by our own made up standard or something else. Different websites require different solutions you can say i do not agree but in the end his website his rules.

9. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Regular Member

Yes, by my standards I don't think he should be running a forum. I'll admit that as a forum owner I'm a little unusual, I consider the content posted on my forums to be a shared resource. However, as you say his site, his rules but it's not something I'd be a part of.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  10. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    They archived the old forum and opened another instance of the forum.

What amazes me is if he couldn't control the users on the old forum what makes him think he will on the new version?

Soulwatcher likes this.
  11. Superboy

Superboy Most Likely, I'm Insane.

fresh starts means he can do it a better way this time and restart from scratch.

12. BamaStangGuy

If he was going to do it better with a fresh start he should have ditched vBulletin.

Soulwatcher, AWS and jmurrayhead like this.
  13. Mark.B

Mark.B Regular Member

AGENDA IN UNRELATED THREAD ALERT!

14. BamaStangGuy

Whiny ass vBulletin employee doing nothing productive with customers.

It has everything to do with a fresh start, getting rid of rarely updated stagnant shit.

Neal, gsv and jmurrayhead like this.
  15. GTB

GTB Regular Member

You mean like you used to do a lot, Mark?

16. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Regular Member

First Name:
    Jeroen
    Well at least a system in place that is better then what standard software has to offer.

17. Mark.B

Mark.B Regular Member

This was actually an interesting thread, and to be honest I hadn't even noticed what software they were running, it wasn't relevant.

Now of course we see that BamaStangGuy had a specific agenda all along - it was all vBulletin's fault. :rolleyes:

What a waste of a decent topic, descending into yet another vBulletin "hate" thread where the usual characters with the usual agendas (most of whom don't use vBulletin) will no doubt turn up in droves.

18. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Please don't class me in that category, I never even mentioned vBulletin. :mad:

19. jinxed

jinxed Lurker

First Name:
    Sophie
    Whoa, if I did that.... Be assured my members wouldn't be happy campers....

20. BamaStangGuy

Stop whining. You are the one that escalated my comment into taking this further off topic. You are such a [****][****][****][****]ing drama queen.