Desktop processor vs. Server Processor

Discussion in 'Domains, Hosting and Servers' started by Peacelily, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Peacelily

Peacelily Adept

:mad2::mad2::mad2:

So confused. Tired of being talked down to.

Someone is saying that the server we have:

Core i7 920 cpu
    6GB Kingston RAM
    500GB Seagate Barracuda ES.2 HD

is a desktop processor not a server processor. What does that mean?

He also said people who pay $60 per month get what they pay for, but that is NOT what we are paying.

:eek:

So, now one has to know if it is a desktop processor? How do we know?

*cry*

2. Haltech

Haltech Novice

First Name:
    Kevin
    Server processors are "validated" basically. They are tested for uptime, have virtually no erreta's ( errors on the core ) and cost more :) They also are the only ones that can be used with multisockets.. 2+ sockets.

They also are generally lower voltage.

3. p4guru

p4guru Addict

i7 920 is a desktop processor based on nehalem architecture. But like the previous generation of intel desktop processors, they have their equivalent server processors for intel xeon series.

i7 920's exact equivalent is Intel Xeon W3520 processor, it's virtually the same just more stringest testing especially for the thermal characteristics. Now expanding on that they have multi-socket Xeon server processors based on same Nehalem architection, the Nehalem-EP processors such as Xeon E55xx series which allow for dual Xeon E55xx quad core = 8 cores.

The Nehalem-EP Xeon 55xx processors are 7x times faster than Xeon 53xx and 2x times faster than Xeon 54xx series processors for sql and apache tasks. So you can imagine the desktop Core i7 920 is one very capable processor and clocked at 2.66ghz should be able to match Xeon 53xx series and 54xx server processors.

The Core i7 processors are very fast - at home I have 5x i7 920 2.66GHZ and Xeon W3520 2.66GHZ and Xeon W3540 2.93GHZ based systems :D

4. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

I've been trying to figure these things out as well.

5. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

Providers are reducing their cost by going for the i7 cpus b/c they are cheaper then their server counter parts, and in some ways perform equivalent.

Really though, cpu type is really going to be dependent on what type of envirionment you (client) are going to be running (e.g,. shared, vps, semi-DS, DS) in relation to your services/resources.

p4guru definitely gave a technical breakdown of the desktop vs server cpu. If you don't mind my less technical one, if it helps your frustration and I'll try to keep my bias out of it.

1. desktop cpu traditionally can not handle the heat encountered within a rack system. They are not designed for it as its all based on power requirements relative to its speed (Ghz). Faster is better, but is hotter which leads to locking up and death. as I said the i7s can also be described as a server grade cpu meant for the desktop user. Gamers, graphics designers, modelers, etc. that is more cpu intensive.

2. server cpu grade are able to tolerate more heat and use less power for the a given speed. they can be stacked in tighter confines without any detriment. The biggest cost savings for this is pure power (amps) and physical space being used.

Now, how it impacts your customers has to be correspond to what you are hosting. There are so many factors that weigh in on this, such as bandwidth, disk I/O.

Hopefully some of this have given you seem understanding. I suspect you are encountering some issues and its not making sense, especially when the lack luster reason provided seems to be cpu related? I'm sure there is more to it, but based on just that....sounds nutty.

6. David

David Regular Member

hmmmm loads of yummy good information in this post.

7. p4guru

p4guru Addict

yeah there's many factors, the bottleneck in your config above would be the slower SATA disks versus faster SAS/SCSI 10k or 15k rpm disks. But don't rule out misconfiguration issues of the server and/or plugin/hacks with rogue/poor coding causing excessive server resource usage.

8. kev

kev Regular Member

The main difference between a server CPU and a desktop CPU is the size of the cache and the speed of the cache.

The larger the cache, the more the CPU can store so it does not have to do the same processing over and over.

The faster the cache, the faster the stored data is retrieved.

Lets say you have an essay to write. But you already wrote one last year. Instead of writing the essay again, you go to your files, find the old essay and make a photo copy of it. Then you hand in a copy of the essay you wrote last year.

The same thing goes for processors. If CPUs are having to do the same calculation over and over again, it will store the results in cache. When the calculation is asked for again, the CPU hands the stored result over from cache.

Xeon are server grade CPUs - and they have been that way for 10+ years. While you might have the Atom, Mobile, Celeron, Intel generic dual core or quad core chip - the Xeon is the work horse.

Most Intel CPUs have a cache that works at 1/2 speed, or has a small cache. The Xeon has a large cache and works at full speed.

There is also a big price difference. These prices came from pricewatch.com

core i7 920 - $269.99
    core i7 975 - $ 984.99
    Intel phenom 9850 - $154.99

Xeon x7350 - $2405.00

You are going to pay a LOT more for a Xeon then for a regular dual or quad core CPU. In return you get a workhorse server solution.

9. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

:eek:

10. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

Peacelily,

I saw your older thread that is kinda maybe the history leading up to this new thread?

Have you been able to come up for air?