Default Subscription Mode

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by Nick, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

What do you have your settings configured to (if this is a feature of your forum script) for "Default Subscription Mode" for new users?

• Do not subscribe
    • Subscribe with no e-mail notification
    • Instant E-mail Notification
    • Daily e-mail notification
    • Weekly e-mail notification
    It seems that there is a bit of a science to choosing the right setting: If you leave it to "no subscription", then new users may post an introduction thread, question, or any post, and could easily forget that they even registered and posted on your forum, never to return again. On the other hand, if you set it to instant e-mail notification, then a member who doesn't forget about your forum and starts actively participating right from the start will be bombarded with e-mails.

I have found that the optimum setting is "Weekly e-mail notification." This way, if users forget about your forum in a week's time, they will be reminded of their posts. If they don't forget about your forum, then they won't have to endure a flood of e-mail notifications.

What are your settings, and what have the results been? Any complaints?

2. Desu

Desu Addict

I generally use "Do not subscribe", because I have a lot of infrequent members, and I don't want to bug them with countless emails (The main topics of the forum tend to get a lot of posts, and it might get aggravating for them).

3. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Subscribe with no e-mail notification.

But occasionally for the low tech people I've manually set their accounts to daily email notifications. Several people contact me and ask how to log in, post, and other simple things.

4. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    Do not subscribe

I also send out 4 mailings a month, 2 newsletters via Constant Contact and 2 mass PM's. People don't forget the site so easily.

5. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    always => Instant E-mail Notification
    on new forums

6. kev

kev Regular Member

Subscribe with no e-mail notification - that is my default subscription setting.

Members do not receive emails, but it still makes it easy to find threads they posted in

7. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I generally tend to use "Do not subscribe", as this option should ultimately be chosen by each individual member. :)

8. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    i usually set it to "do not subscriube"