Dedicated - Good or No?

Discussion in 'Domains, Hosting and Servers' started by Chani, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    • AMD 64 3800+ or better
    • 2 GB Ram
    • 250 GB Disk
    • 2,000 GB Bandwidth
    • No Setup, No Contract
      $49/mo
    WHT Managed Services Special ($39/mo.) adds:
    - Free WHM/Cpanel
    - provide free remote hands for troubleshooting
    - just about anything you need done serverwide
    - complete managed service details can be found here

Good or no? I'm mostly concerned about price right now. I know they're older machines and don't come close to newer machine's performance, but for a starter dedi with not too much traffic, is this worth it?

Thanks!

2. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

Re: Dedi - Good or No?

I think its a good deal.

Only thing it doesn't mention is what platform, windows or linux. I would presume the latter though.

3. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani

Yes, it's Linux. :)

I'll give myself a few hours to decide if I should get it and dump my two VPS accounts with them.

For $10 more I could get this:

• AMD x2 4200+ or better
    • 2 GB Ram
    • 2 x 250 GB Disk
    • 3,000 GB Bandwidth
    • No Setup, No Contract
      $59/mo
    Should I do that instead?

4. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

The way I'd look at it is if I think I'm going to utilize that extra $10 worth you know.

The difference is the CPU and the bandwidth and only you would know what your possible limiting factor is there (e.g, need alot of cpu usage or do you have so much traffic that the bandwidth will be a concern?).

I would imagine that if you went w/ the first one, you could find out how much flogging it could take before considering that next $10 package. It's easy for those host to upgrade you. :D

That would be my input and I hope it helps.

2 people like this.
  5. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani

Actually, yes, it does help.

I'm completely lost when it comes to a dedicated server. Never had one before. :doh:

The thing is, with a dedicated server, I could use that extra space for backups for sites AND my own files.

I like that the second package is a dual-core, but does that really matter with just a few smaller sites? I have four vB forums that would need to be on this machine (for now). I might be adding an IPB forum as well.

6. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Mind sharing where this deal is, and whom with? ;)

7. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Once I secure the one that I want, I'll be happy to. ;)

These aren't regular deals. They're on clearance. :nailbite:

8. kev

kev Regular Member

Is at 3800 a single core processor? If so, do you realize that your leasing a server that has a 4 - 5 year old CPU?

With an AMD 3800 and 4200 that is probably PC400 memory.

Are the hard drives IDE SATA or SCSI?

If anything go with the 4200 X2, the dual cores will give you a good boost in performance.

For a 4 - 5 year old CPU, PC400 memory and IDE hard drives, for the price I would say that is about right.

I have seen 10 year old dedicated servers leasing for $20 - $40. But that was a Celeron CPU, and 1 gig of memory. Which is not really a server class machine.

2 people like this.
  9. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

All the horsepower is not always needed to run websites. For 4 vB sites that she has mentioned, but not knowing if anything php intensive is going on with them, I think she is sitting pretty. This is just my assumption that Chani is not a heavy, power user though.

Older machines, if maintained well can still do well.

Chani, maybe you could poll performance data from your current setup and inquire on how it would compare to either of these setups, although sounds like you're leaning towards the latter package. Ask them if your needs will be met? They should be able to answer you with confidence.

Probably the other thing I forgot to ask was....is the 2nd one managed too?

Sorry to make this more of a challenge.... lol

Edit: from some of your other posts, you're going to be using some photo gallery's? Those will have an impact depending on the library you use (e.g., ImageMagick, GD, etc.)

10. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Okay. How would I do that? :o

And yes, one of them will be image intensive (GD2).

The second one would be managed, too, for the same extra cost.

11. Lucas

Lucas Addict

First Name:
    Lucas
    It does look like a really good deal, actually, it seems too good to be true. Nowadays a good VPS account costs that, plus you have full control over it and the resource usage (that's why I love dedicated servers).

The thing that makes it more expensive (every time) is the fact that you have to pay extra for control panel licenses if you decide to use a paid one, the free ones in my opinion are rather bad.

I doubt the usage on what you're needing it for will cause much problems with your server at the moment. It should give you time to earn a decent income and if needed upgrade to a more powerful server.

12. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    That's kinda what I was thinking.

I do plan on getting a beefier server at some point, but I figured that if this would work for now I'd jump on it while I have the chance.

13. kev

kev Regular Member

On most modern day VPSs - they are running at least 1 quad core, or even Dual quad core CPUs (total of 8 cores) with at least 8 - 12 gigs of memory.

With the 3800 AMD server that was listed, your probably going to get better performance out of a modern day VPS then on that outdated dedicated server.

3800 is probably single core, PC400 memory, IDE drives.

Modern day VPS (that is not being over sold) - at least a single quad core CPU, PC800 or better memory, SATA or SCSI drives.

To say whether the 3800 and 4600 are good buys, I need to see more specs.

14. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

Chani,

With that being said, coupled with Lucas' input, I'm the kind of person that looks for those relatively cheaper solutions purely for a learning experience. Better to bank some stuff out on a cheaper nickel now, then be real ready for the golden nickel later.

For example, I learned how to run game servers and web hosting from home first, then went to shared web hosting/game server provider, to finally a dedicated solution. I staged myself and I think that's a good approach for some people.

GD2 is pretty good, but can use more resources compared to Imagick. However, I don't think you'll run into problems at least for awhile.

15. Lucas

Lucas Addict

First Name:
    Lucas
    That is true, but unless you're using some type of really intensive service, you don't benefit from having dual core or faster hard drives. You might lose a bit of loading speed but rather than that, it shouldn't make too much of a difference.

Now if you want to go and do heavy forums, video streaming, or anything of that type, you'll surely notice the performance difference from a newer server than an old one.

16. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

What kind of data can you poll from your VPS accounts?

Bandwidth
    cpu usage/cycles
    downtime
    errrors
    size of your sites
    #average users/day
    do you have a Peak time?

I would be taking those kinds of stats and going directly to the support people of these dedicated machines. Maybe lead off with...here is a link to my sites, which are all on VPS, is the dedicated offer going to make my sites more lean, stay the same, or be worse? Be straight up about it.

They need to convince you that the deal will fit your needs. Therfore, they might ask for more information, or you can ask them what the need to know to make a better judgment. If they come back kinda meh, then maybe I'd think about the risk on it.

17. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Since it is the same host that shouldn't be too difficult, I guess. ;)

I'll try to get more info.

Thanks!

18. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    They tell me that any of those packages will be an improvement over what I have now, so I'm going for it! :)

Prolly nothing until Monday, tho. :(

19. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Nice...

Today is the day that I'll be getting my new (old) dedicated server, which I've told them that it will replace the two VPS accounts with them.

And today is also the billing day of one of my VPS account.

I know it's good to have accounts overlap a bit, but it still bums me out that I just had to pay for another whole month for my VPS. :(

20. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani