Competing with those with 'infinite' free time?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by CM30, Jan 20, 2014.

1. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

Out of curiosity, how do you think someone should compete with forums whose owners seemingly have an unlimited amount of free time and money to spend on them?

Because many of us have jobs, college/university, military service or just priorities in general, right? So how should we compete with forum and website owners who seemingly don't, and can just spend all day on the internet finding things to post about?

It's an especially interesting question in the gaming world, since I've noticed a rather high amount of gaming site owners/staff seem to have way more time than you'd think was ever possible, with some posting seemingly every few hours or even minutes with more news or posts or articles. How does someone with an actual lifestyle compete with that?

2. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    About the only thing you can do is do what you can. Users will understand why you can't be there every minute and can't dump loads of cash into it.

3. Big al

Big al Regular Member

Just post as you can. It may take longer but if your posts and intentions are good then you will make it ok.

I hope your site does well and prospers.

4. eva2000

eva2000 Regular Member

Speaking more in general for not forum specific genres of sites

Only one way.. work smarter and not harder. There's only so many hours in a day, so you need to be creative to make the most of it.

one secret is = automation :)

Finding better and more efficient ways to do everyday tasks can save your time ;)

Big al likes this.
  5. VICE

VICE Regular Member

Somewhat an odd question, if your aim is money (which I assume it is), shouldn't you come out with a sell-able product?
    If your aim isn't money, why are you fretting over what other people do? What is it that you're trying to compete with?

6. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I think if you're competiting with someone with a lot of free time, then you need some extra staff members to help out, so that you can compete directly head on with them. It sure is possible.

VICE likes this.