Are locational specific forums a good way to make a generic forum unique?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Tyler, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    What is your take on forums that are tailored to a specific geographic location in addition to what the forum is actually about? Is anyone an active member of one of these?

If you don't know what I mean, say I want to start a forum about restoring old muscle cars. That probably wouldn't take off because of how generic it is. But what if it were about restoring old muscle cars in Long Island, New York (assuming one doesn't already exist and that this location has more than enough gear-heads to justify making such a forum)?

2. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Local forums are very popular. There is a guy that has a network of locale specific forums and all of them are hugely popular. You'd be surprised how popular muscle car forums are. I have also seen them locale specific and they do well also.

3. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    There are a few completely different things that I've thought about making a network of forums for LI, NY. For my potential topics, the enthusiasts are there. I'd just need to make them aware of such sites somehow. Especially hard considering I live 7,500 miles away from there right now, lol.