Advanced Statistics

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by twhiting9275, Oct 1, 2009.

1. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Regular Member

I'm just gathering interest here, trying to see whether or not this would be worth releasing to the public (though I have no idea where , right now). I've been working on a little bit of an addon that will gather user statistics from the database for a few reasons, and thought I'd put it up here, see what people might want in it, whether or not it'd be worth my time putting it up for a release somewhere.

Currently, the only thing functioning is the post stats, and the referral stats (though I need to retool referrals a bit and fix it so that X days can be added). Here's some screens of them in action, and the configs.

Why would something like this be useful? Well, for starters, competitions can benefit from something like this. As well, sometimes you just want to know this stuff.

As you can see, there's room for a 3rd option, 'total stats', and configuration for things such as PM's, thanks, etc. Those will all be put in the 'total stats' section, when all done, if I even get it that far..

Thoughts, ideas?

2 people like this.
  2. Ak Worm

Ak Worm Grand Master

First Name:
    Corey
    Release a beta, we'll give some feedback :D

3. twhiting9275

First post updated with the product. Do keep in mind that it is beta, so there might (note: might) be issues.

4. Mikey

Mikey Mikeylicio.us

Downloaded, Will try.

5. Ak Worm

Ak Worm Grand Master

First Name:
    Corey
    Just downloaded and installed.
    Your refferal in the admincp seems to have no options its just showing
    Total stats, you need to work on ;)
    Anyways im keeping it installed til the next version comes out. I think i can help with it :D

6. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    I haven't downloaded it yet, but by your screenshots, it doesn't look like you can sort the results. Is this possible? I would think that for a large board this would be absolutely essential.

Looks great! I'll need to check this out! :)

7. twhiting9275

All the actual 'options' are in the settings page. It's the very first link in the dropdown. From there you can set the time, the # of posts for members to qualify as a referral (to stop no post signups from counting), and a few of the advanced options that I'll be adding in over time.

Not really possible, due to the nature of this mod. This is something that I wouldn't mind having in there, but you actually have to get the stats from the database itself (ie: throw out queries to get posts/threads/referrals in X days), and vBulletin doesn't simplify this at all sadly. The math is done 'on the fly' as it were, with each thing being counted as it comes up. Thankfully, there's not a ton of stuff to do there. Maybe copying the data to a temporary table and refreshing that table every few hours, but then that wouldn't really be terribly reliable.

I'd love to say that the above suggestion is possible, and will see if I can broaden the horizons a bit to do it, but I can't really make any promises there.

I know the "advanced stats" stuff needs worked on, That's one of the main reasons I created the thread initially without the mod, but I'm getting there

8. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    I'm a little confused as to why the results can't be sorted. Sorting is a built-in function of MySQL. You can't just pick a column and sort by that?

I'm only asking because I really need to do that for a series of vBa CMPS modules that I'm working on (Yes, I'm a hack, but I'll get 'er done. ;) ).

9. twhiting9275

Mysql sorting is great, IF the information is stored together in a collective database (ie: username blah posted 23 threads in a month, made 23 posts in a month, and 500 pm's in a month). Instead, it's done inefficiently. I have to go through the posts table here for every user and count up posts/threads since X date, then make sure they qualify (ie: they have more than X words). This is not sortable by any means.

If you looked at the threads and posts tables, you would see exactly what I'm talking about. There's more than just mysql being used here. Each thread, each post is stored in an individual row. There is no "sort" possible there.

10. Ak Worm

Ak Worm Grand Master

First Name:
    Corey
    New version your working on? Looking to see a new one :D

11. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Okay. I'll take your word for it.

I'm still learning SQL basics, so I thought it would be easier (or even possible) to sort the data.

That sucks. :(

12. twhiting9275

Be patient, there have been 2 downloads of the thing , adn it's only been up a few days. I may update it, I may not, but have patience. I'm not going to just "update" the software without fixing the bugs first, and no, the "advanced" section of stats not working isn't a bug, it's a feature that hasn't been implemented.

Trust me, I wish it was easier. The (proposed) solution I've come up with so far is to copy query data to a temp table and allow sorting that way, but that would take away from the "instant" side of the stats. Data may be delayed 5-10 minutes if I do it that way, we'll see.

I'm still toying with it, we'll have to see just how much work and time it takes, and how much interest this project gains.

13. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    And now you have three downloads. :)

I'm really interested in where you take this. :)

14. Ak Worm

Ak Worm Grand Master

First Name:
    Corey
    Eh, un-installed for now, im on a mod un-installing spree. This is no use until a better version comes :D

15. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Nice looking mod
    people are always interested in seeing stats, how else would we learn what works :)