Yup, Another Noobie (here at least :p )

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Chani, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    :hello:

My name is Chani.

I'm the owner/administrator of three forums (I have yet another license, but I haven't had the chance to set it up yet).

I've been an administrator of another forum, tho I don't even visit there anymore.

I started with phpBB (the other forum in question), and even set up a couple of my own phpBB forums for my family to replace their MyFamily site, which I thought was horribly out of date.

Eventually the other forum that I was an admin on decided to test vBulletin. I took to it right away and loved it!

They ended up not using that license, tho, so I took it over for myself and created Astromech Factory (Yes, I'm a Star Wars geekette :p ).

Then I bought another license for a site that I was trying to set up for a friend of my mom's, but I didn't know enough PHP to mod vBA the way I wanted to, so I transferred that license to http://www.teegopher.com , but that forum is pretty much sitting there not doing anything at the moment. I still need to change the way vBA Links image uploads work and give it a rating system and a sort of a payment system for it. I'll get to that soon and get that forum going.

The third is a private forum, and will not be named.

Finally, I'm trying to decide what I want to do with my fourth license. I'd kinda like a political forum, but I'm also trying to figure out if I could mod it to make a store for the apparel that we decorate and sell.

I just bought the new subscription to WebAssist's Super Suite (Monthly in case I don't like it), so I may go that way for my store (I like Zen-Cart, too, but I don't like the way it's programmed).

I'm trying to learn PHP i my spare time. I can usually figure out what a piece of code is doing when I look at existing scripts, but writing my own is still a little difficult for me. I have a long way to go... :o

One thing I will say, I wouldn't know half of what I know if it hadn't been for upgrading and adding hacks to phpBB way back when, and actually needing to edit the code itself. I like vBulletin's product installations, but they kinda put a handicap on newer owners and admins in that they don't really ever need to look at the code itself, and therefore can't make the simplest of changes without begging on vBulletin.org.

Oops...going off on a rant. :o

It looks like there may be some very valuable information here. I'll browse around and see what's up, and if I have any questions or advice, I'll certainly post! :)

Thank you.

2. Ryan

Ryan Regular Member

Welcome to the forum ;D

3. torque

torque Regular Member

Welcome to the forum i am sure you would find it a nice and helpful place to be.

4. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Hello, Chani. Welcome to AdminAddict. :)

5. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Welcome to the AA! :P

6. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Hello, welcome to the community. Please enjoy your time! :)

7. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Welcome!

8. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Welcome to the Site - TeeGopher looks great - the bear reminded me of Kanye West's mascot.

9. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Thanks for the warm welcomes, everyone! :)

Thank you! He's actually a stylized gopher, tho. :p

I still need to do a lot of programming on TeeGopher, so it's not quite complete, but I do like the images I used.

I wish there were a Dreamweaver extension for vBulletin that had all the template variables and functions for their PHP.