WYSIWYG editors - yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by webaficionado, Dec 24, 2012.

1. webaficionado

webaficionado Regular Member

What's your opinion towards WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editors? Are they helpful when formatting a post, or are they a lot buggier than regular text editors?

While I really like XenForo's editor, I absolutely hate CKEditor (which some vBulletin sites use). It's too slow and, most of the times, when you end up posting your message, it look a lot different than it did in the editor.

adrupal.org_files_images_ckeditor_screenshot_0.png

2. jyri

jyri Regular Member

If messages look a lot different when you edit them vs when you post them, than that WYSIWYG editor sucks :).

I use the one on wordpress, it is pretty good, but not perfect. There are times when I have to re-edit the post in the "code" editor.

3. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

I like them on forums. Much more conveniant to see what your post looks like with formatting prior to it being posted.

4. Jessi

Jessi Regular Member

I much prefer WYSIWYG editors. If they're drastically different or I want to make sure something appears just so, then I can always switch to the code directly and change it there. They used to be pretty rough, but most seem fairly accurate these days. I don't have any problems with them any more.

5. Jura

Jura Regular Member

If IPS can't get it working well in IPB then I hate WYSIWYG editors. I would grab the CKEditor developers balls and twist them if I could.

webaficionado likes this.
  6. webaficionado

webaficionado Regular Member

LOL! I think it'd be a little hard for them to fix its bugs while having their balls twisted, though.

7. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I like enhanced editors, it usually makes posting a lot easier and allows the poster to customize their post if they want.

8. bauss

bauss Regular Member

The WYSIWYG editor on IPB works very nice. I disliked the WYSIWYG editor on Xenforo because whenever I pasted content it grabbed the background color of the page which was annoying, because I always had to manually delete that part of the code whenever I posted news on my site from a external source, when we were running Xenforo.

9. boatswife

boatswife Regular Member

I like it, but I also like the ability to switch back and forth.

10. Martin W

Martin W Regular Member

I like them for my members. It makes it easier for people to produce good forum posts, good pages and other sorts of well styled things. I like the majority of them.