Worth leaving IPB for xF?

Discussion in 'IP.Board Discussions' started by gmaister22, Apr 19, 2013.

1. maksim

maksim Regular Member

I really don't think anyone is talking about VB here. =) This topic is about converting from IPB to XF.

IPB already works out of the box.

Every forum software has it's plusses and minuses. XF has a lot of good things going for it.... however having used both, my personal take, XF is not an upgrade to IPB.

XF is an upgrade to a basic VB install though.

VB5 once all the bugs are worked out.... will bring some XF folks back.

For now, it seems XF is stealing marketshare away from VB.... not IPB.

2. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

Was simply answering your question....

No it won't. If it does, the owners have no common sense. Why would someone convert to XF and then convert back to vBulletin with their history.

It blows my mind people actually consider vBulletin 5. :eek:

goblues likes this.
  3. Carlos

Carlos Regular Member

I literally laughed. :ROFL:

Sad but true.

4. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

Normally I would not do the whole I told you so, but LOL I am in weird mood.

http://admin-talk.com/threads/43290/

As you can see REACTIVE like I said. And even though they released a security update 2 days after the update they have new exploits for IPB. It is without a doubt the most exploited paid forum software on the market.

5. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

It's going to be exploited more so soon, if only because no one with half a brain will still be using vBuletin. Hence guess what the hacker target will be?

Either way, I don't think that has anything to do with how well it's coded as much as how popular it is, no point trying to find exploits for a forum script few people use any more.

6. Ebrain Night

Ebrain Night Regular Member

If you want to get the new experience then your decision is good but I think, in future you will come to IPB once again. You can't get the whole features in xF that you are getting from IPB and you could be feel uncomfortable. As you said you purchased that then go with the xF and get a new experience but keep in mind one thing, in future switch to IPB will be difficult in some ways.

7. thebrad

thebrad Regular Member

Xenforo is so much better than ipb i had ipb for a few months and it was terrible really.. did not do what it said for a runescape fan forum it was awful, and i was thinking of xenforo.

8. NotoriousMK

NotoriousMK Regular Member

It depends what you are after....I would say XF is all about "simple" while IPB reminds me of old school VB...loads of feature that you will barely use...correct me if i'm wrong

9. Jura

Jura Regular Member

There's nothing stopping you from turning those features off or skinning them out.

10. Mythotical

Mythotical Regular Member

I have sold my IPB license to go back to XenForo. Unfortunately I believe XF is an upgrade from vB and IPB. XF runs merely on JS while vB and IPB still use hard PHP with minimum JS. At the same time XF has faster load times than vB and IPB, yes I have tested this, the load times have been as such: vB - 1.0034, IPB - 0.9843, XF - 0.2030. Some may think that 1 second is nothing but when your waiting on your site to load with minimum users 1 second is noticable. XF loads much faster for me using close to 30 add-ons and close to 20 cron jobs. Overall I can only suggest leaving IPB for XF as XF can only get better, IPB recently went with Core and then IP.Board as an addon while XF already uses a framework with the forum included then you can just build on to it using the framework. I have used XF for 2 years now, basically since Beta, and I love it more than anything except my family. LOL

As I said that is my opinion and if it helps you decide great, if not, no harm no foul.

11. Superboy

Superboy Most Likely, I'm Insane.

It's strange to me that in 1.2 there is still no basic feature such as Multi-quote
    and then they add in a tagging feature(Which is one of the most popular add-ons on XF) that allows you to mention usernames similar to twitter but they didn't take the best feature from the add-on which was the ability to tag usergroups.

I just find Xenforo to be an attractive and smooth Software that is still missing features of VB or IPB and that bugs me.

Which is ironic since XF reminds me of Windows Phone 8(which lacks features of Android/IOS) and yet i don't complain as much about WP8 lacking simple stuff but I always complain about XF lol

12. Jura

Jura Regular Member

xF users are going to keep asking for features to where it won't be much difference between the other software in speed. Think long term.