Why does everyone hate phpBB?

Discussion in 'phpBB Discussions' started by jlevi, Aug 28, 2009.

1. jlevi

jlevi Addict

First Name:
    Joel
    Why does everyone seem to hate phpBB? I mean, just looking at AdminAddict everyone seems to use another forum software, and there's only half a dozen threads in the phpBB section on AdminAddicts.

I actually use phpBB for my forum, and think it's fine. I really like the interface compared with vBulletin and others, and it's really easy to customise IMHO. I'm a relatively new forum admin, so perhaps there's something I don't know. Is there a reason that people don't like phpBB? :)

2. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

MyBB>phpBB any day.

3. jlevi

jlevi Addict

First Name:
    Joel
    But why? What makes it so much better than phpBB?

IMO the MyBB interface looks much worse, although I understand it's not all about looks.

4. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Lolwuuut???

Not really, I hate the default look of phpBB pretty much. MyBB, I can make wonders, for phpBB, it's so messy[template system], just a 'despicable' interface for me.

Everyone to it's own I guess.

5. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    Hate is kinda strong. I think a lot of us just have not been exposed. The first forum I ever become a moderator on was using vBulletin hence I've learned the vB way of things. Ever since I've tended to stick with vB since that is what I know. Now that I do vB mods I don't even look at other software as I just don't have the time right now.

6. Ryan

Ryan Regular Member

I have been using vBulletin for about 2 years, I am used to the way it works which is why I would personally pick it over anything else.

But jlevi I do like what you have done to your phpBB board.

7. jlevi

jlevi Addict

First Name:
    Joel
    I suppose I have to agree with you there. It's difficult to customise the basic look because of the messy template system as you said, but also because it is already formatted in such a way that if you do try to change it, you have to edit a whole load of CSS to get it looking OK again (mainly the rounded corners are inconvenient).

I haven't really looked at the backend of MyBB, but if it's much simpler and easier to edit like you say, I might give it a go. My only concern is the lack of modifications for MyBB?

8. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

There is no lack of modifications, just lack of people willing to pay for the GOOD ones.

I have no problems with MyBB, I don't need to be begging for a MyBB theme either 'cause I can make one myself.

A forum software should be easy to manage [template wise], if not how are you going to modify it?

9. jlevi

jlevi Addict

First Name:
    Joel
    Yeah, I can understand that. Another thing that's stopping me from moving to MyBB is that our forum depends heavily on the Arcade modification - although I've just checked and I think MyBB has a similar alternative. I wonder if the gamedata will be transferrable! :D

10. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Never used the MyBB arcade, never found such applications that much fun, but the users like it.

11. Ryan

Ryan Regular Member

jlevi... I notice there are no links to your board? What is it again?

12. Ohn03s

Ohn03s Novice

I love the way Phpbb's admin system works. It is good configureable but hard costumiseable and the default skin of phpbb3 is pretty screwed. phpbb also has to much backdoors I heard.

13. jlevi

jlevi Addict

First Name:
    Joel
  14. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Very hard to customize, not very flexible and like others said, hard to manage, lacks in modifications/themes, and it's just flat out unattractive.

15. Vekseid

Vekseid Regular Member

1) In order to properly handle spammers, trolls, and dupes, you need mods. Even basic IP search functionality requires a mod.
    2) It's slow. Of all the full-featured forums, it is the slowest of them all.
    3) It forces indirect avatar downloads for user-uploaded avatars.
    4) The developer team is actively hostile. 3.0.6 is only getting quick reply after they realized that yes, forum users really do want it.
    5) Their Sphinx search plugin is absolutely idiotic. And who does the dev blame? Himself? No way! It's Sphinx's fault!
    6) Their mod handling is vastly inferior to phpBB, SMF, MyBB, and I would presume IPB and vBulletin. Compared to BBPress or Drupal, it's a sad, sad joke.
    7) Module availability might be better than MyBB's, but that's about it. Their selection is nothing compared to SMF.

2 people like this.
  16. jlevi

jlevi Addict

First Name:
    Joel
    I have basic IP search functionality built into phpBB 3.0.5 - so perhaps you mean earlier versions?

Yeah, I have to agree there.

Thanks for the clarification - I'm looking at MyBB and PunBB now - do any of you have an opinion over which is better? I suppose I should create a new thread...

17. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

MyBB ftw~ You can design so much better on MyBB.

18. Tom

Tom Regular Member

MyBB is much better.

19. Chris

Chris Regular Member

'Hate' is a strong term to use. I do, however, dislike the script as a whole.

I find phpBB3's administrative interface (in particular) to be bloated, and packed with a large amount of useless features. Sure - it's nice to have control over every single aspect of the board, but this can be achieved in a more organized manner. Let's take vBulletin for example - while the administrative control panel isn't exactly the most beautiful thing in the world, it's organized in a fashion that enables administrators to control and manage the board seamlessly. This is of course a matter of personal preference, but it's how I feel about it (and have ever since the beginning).

I'm not too fond of the right-sided postbit, either. This wasn't a very logical move.

20. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

They are copying the manga makers! Reading everything right to left! :lol: