Which style do you use?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by kneel, Jul 20, 2009.

1. kneel

kneel Regular Member

Postbit or Postbit Legacy?

I ran a poll on my forum and like 95% of people voted for legacy...I think its becuz they're used to it...

Edit:
    me myself...I like the side style...

2. Ryan

Ryan Regular Member

Postbit... we used to use legacy. But moved back to postbit.

3. torque

torque Regular Member

I use Legacy mainly just my preference! I prefer it that way!

4. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I mostly use the current postbit, but I'm using the legacy on one site because I want people to be able to have extra tall avatars.

2 people like this.
  5. Lynne

Lynne Regular Member

I use legacy, cuz it's what I like, but I allow my users to pick either postbit or postbit_legacy for their use.

6. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

The new one, Post bit.

Seems much better for our uses. we post a lot of big pictures so there is much more room. Also the profile fields going across the page break up the posts visually. Our sig lines are not large.

7. kneel

kneel Regular Member

thats what i wanted to ask...how do you give your members the choice? I seen this option on vb.org..but i never figured out how to set it..

8. Peacelily

Peacelily Adept

Awesome! This is the question I was going to ask. It seems like Postbit Legacy is kind of more "fun" because they can cram more stuff in it.

We have tiny avatars, only 48x48 and sigs are limited to 200x100 with one smiley as well.

9. kneel

kneel Regular Member

wow..thats really small. Mine used to be set at 100X100...but now I changed it...I took the look of this site and used it on mine..bigger avatars make the posts look nicer.. (imo of course) Mine are now set at like 180x150 for upper ranks and 150x125 for lower ranks. Our sigs are set at 600X200 . . but most people use a link instead so it really dont matter as long as its not crazy out of control.

10. Peacelily

Peacelily Adept

I think it's different when you use the postbit, because as you can see from how it looks, if the avatar was SUPER huge, it would really create some wonky space.

11. kev

kev Regular Member

I like postbit, because it seems more flexible then legacy. I can put all kinds of stuff in post bit and it will not affect the width or how the page looks. If I add too much to legacy, it throws everything out of whack.

12. Sw0rd

Sw0rd Newcomer

I prefer Legacy just all the forums I frequent use it so its just grown on me.

13. Lynne

Lynne Regular Member

I think there is a mod over on vb.org that tells you how to do it. You just create a profile field with the option of either "Top" or "Left" - note the field id - and then a plugin (mine is at postbit_display_complete) with the contents:
    PHP:
    global $vbulletin;
    if (
    $vbulletin->userinfo['fieldx'] == 'Left')
    $vbulletin->options['legacypostbit'] = 1;
    else if (
    $vbulletin->userinfo['fieldx'] == 'Top')
    $vbulletin->options['legacypostbit'] = 0;
    Replace the x in fieldx with the fieldid. That's what I use. I don't know if it's the same as what is over on vb.org.

2 people like this.
  14. kneel

kneel Regular Member

if theres a mod at vborg...ill find it. thanks..ill give this a try...it makes sense anyways..i've already added two things to the postbit_legacy...this might work on mine...thanks`

15. torque

torque Regular Member

Thanks for that Lynne, much appreciated I use to have a number of custom profile fields but my site was hacked and i lost everything and this weekend I was going to re-install them and so will end up using the code you provided to allow people to use what they prefer.

Does that mean if you had the postbit and I had legacy it would appear on the website with your postbit at the top and mine on the left or will it display all of them in postbit mode?

16. Lynne

Lynne Regular Member

The code I posted allows the user to pick how they would like to see all the posts. If they select postbit, then all the posts show up in postbit mode. If they select legacy, then they all show up in legacy mode. (Well, mine say Top and Left, but you get the idea.)

17. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

While I am sure some people will recreate the horizontal postbit in 4.0, the only one that will be offered by default is the vertical or legacy postbit.

18. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

That's good :)
    Legacy (vertical) postbit is the only one I like and use.

19. kneel

kneel Regular Member

wow...so vb x'd the horizontal postbit? I wonder why? do people just not like it at all?

20. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

I would suspect it was axed in the interest of time and that it should be considered an extraneous option. vBulletin already has too many options in my opinion.