Which one looks reasonable?

Discussion in 'Graphics Showoff' started by Boss, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
  2. MordyT

MordyT Grand Master

First Name:
    Mordy
    I don't see the difference between the 1st and third one, but I will tell you the 2nd one is ugly imo.

3. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    i think the 3rd one is the best

4. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

I like #3 the best. Perhaps if you dropped the outside border and just kept the ring it would look better?

5. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

I like the way this is turning out but I'll tell you the parts I don't like that need improving. The string/rope between the blue parts should not be symmetrical, This is the part where you can be erratic and take gravity as a guideline to how the strings should be slopping. You could always define a pattern for the ropes so you see the little indents between the parts of the rope for a more realistic effect.

I also thing the blue parts extend out to much from the white ring. I would draw them in closer enough so you know they continue around the other side. To me it just looks flat with them extended out too much when a little perspective would only do this piece justice.

With regards to the white ring, It looks a little barren. Try inserting some kind of indents or something. Maybe a few embossed shapes with the filled lowered to zero. Just something that will give the area some noise if that makes any sense.

With regards to the blue, I'm not to sure about the blue (I know this is your branding colour) but sometimes it a good thing to have the icons not in the branding colours mainly to break out the colouring.

Anyway, I like your work boss and I'm sure during the latter stages this piece will show improvements. :)

2 people like this.
  6. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

IMO, I think the shadowing is a bit much in all of them. I think it looks a bit too thin for a life preserver. The blue part, as Shelley said, extends out too much.

^^!

7. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

I assume you prefer a thick ring FMB? :unhunh: awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_1daa93e5dde19b6b78ef21df20832f11.gif

*runs*

8. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    What rope? Don't life preservers have flappy corners?

Gotcha on the blue parts, will move the points down and extend them... :unhunh:

The problem with the embossing is that when I redo this once I get it right, it's going to be the size of half your thumb equal size, but I suppose I could get away with doing some shape or text embossed. Will set up a pen path text route instead of warping it.

Branding color? o.O It's a cinch to change the color, the custom silk and gradient is just black and white. Saves me time. :waiting:

I'll make an image soon with one of them to see what color comes out best.

9. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

Seriously, I apologise for my bad sense of humour. Flaps? Don't oversized extremely horny woman have flappy corners? LMAO

Anyway, *sniggers* I forgot Or atleast I wasn't aware you where re-sizing down. Maybe you don't need to add in the emboss highlights in then. I thought the size in the preview where the actual size you where going to use on your site.

Look forward in seeing another mockup. :yes:

10. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    :lol: You know my sense of humor can be as Spring clean or downright dirty as it needs to be. :P

I've seen some life preserver with flappy corners, but I guess it's not the norm. Looking this this vector:

I see that I need quite a lot of detail work on the final product. I suppose I could make the outer wedges flush with the preserver, and then create another piece with a gradient to mimic a loop and then find a way to create the rope, which I can get away with a circle, 0 fill, stroke, and then screw with the shape to make it look like gravity (as you said) has taken control of it.

I spent less than 25 minutes on this last night because I was tired and just went to sleep after I last posted here.

awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_b16246fd8d7ef48f152037ea6af24a82.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
  11. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

I'm not liking that design very much. I won't bullshit you alex and say I do like it because I know you can do much better. I remember spending a couple of hours on designing a life preserver and it didn't turn out right so I know it's a little tricky but I guess the best advice I can give is to experiment further. That said, once you scale down it might look different and a little more complete.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
  12. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Only reason it looks out of place and you can't really see the other colors right is because all of them still have the blue outline, which for me it makes it hard to see which color looks better...

13. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

The red does seem a little flat. This would be the colour I would pick to use. I would most certainly increase the gradient overlay so you get a more rounded feel to it. I'd probably even re-colour the red to a darker red.

14. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    Huh? No, LOL, I only did the colors so one of you could point me into the right direction. I only adjusted the colors, nothing else. :lol:

I have to start over anyway, I combined the tube layers so I can't adjust it. Going to start it over later tonight. I'm partially liking the orange-ish red one.

To be honest, looking at it from a far away distance, the entire thing looks like a condom inside a condom packet. :lol:

15. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

LOL

Are we the only people that see things from within an image that shouldn't be mentioned? I'm beginning to think your a bad influence on me. :unhunh:

Damn your right. ROFLMAO - That image of your life preserver will haunt me forever. One sec alex I'm applying the strap-on and diving on in wish me luck. LOL :unhunh:

*tries to get that condom image out of her head*

16. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    :lol:

Bwahaha.

Well, I'll have to redo it again, but I'll keep the colors on separate layers so I can tune those to the liking of the general masses.

I also have to finish work on that template I broguht up a while back.

17. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Not really, I am too young to think AND post about it though. T.T;;;

18. onlineearner123

onlineearner123 Regular Member

the 3rd one is the best in my opinion