When will you buy another license?

Discussion in 'XenForo Discussions' started by Dan Hutter, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

So, I sold off all my XeneForo licenses after the lack of updates.

Now that a suit is over I really want to pull for Xenforo again. I'll buy license when I see 1.2.

Anyone else buying new licenses?

Brandon likes this.
  2. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I've been thinking about buying another license to develop on, I'll likely wait until I see an update though as well.

3. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

Next week sometime. I'm already at the bulk $110 discount and don't get anymore. Hopefully will need one or two more next week for new projects though.

4. HenrikHansen

HenrikHansen Regular Member

Probably buy 2-3 licenses next week :cool:.

5. boatswife

boatswife Regular Member

I kept mine. I may not ever use it, but I like that it's MINE! LOL

I'm slow and didn't quite understand about the extension. For those of us that still have a current license, do we get the extension too? I'm getting ready to expire mid month and not sure if that applied to me.

6. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Regular Member

Honestly, if XenForo doesn't already do what you need, you shouldn't use it. Buying software for what it might do someday in the future is silly.

Plus omg... how do you have the time/energy to switch platforms back and forth? I've done one platform migration ever in my life, and I never, ever want to do that again if I can help it. haha

Brandon likes this.
  7. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

I sold the XF license I had to a friend, but he already has a site and I may help him with it. Though, if I can ever find a good idea I could careless if they upgrade or not I would buy it again. Its a solid product as it stands now. The only thing it could use is a working shout that allows pms and archives LOL That Tiaga crap sucks

Brandon likes this.
  8. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

Mainly, I was nervous that there was no movement at all from the developers. What happened if a security issue arose? I didn't want to be stuck in a position of closing the site temporarily or hastily moving to another platform with no time to plan it.

My biggest forum (ourdjtalk.com) will stay on vBulletin until 4.2 EOL's then I'll decide on IPB or Xenforo. A few of my members hated Xenforo when we ran it for ~ 6 months; I'll probably go with IPB.

For new projects it will be Xenforo all the way provided the developers show signs of respecting their customer base again.

9. ragtek

ragtek Regular Member

Not 2?

vB3 => vB4 => xf?

edit
    ok vB3 => vB4 isn't another plattform but different tempalte code):D

10. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Regular Member

Well like I said, you should use whatever works for you *now*... If you were worried about security issues, didn't they release the last version fairly quickly when a third party security issue arose?

If you are buying software because you feel like you want "respect" from developers (whatever that means), I think that might be the worst reason ever to buy software. I mean do you buy apps for your cell phone based on how much you feel the developers respect you?

Again... Use what works best for you today. A dev can respect me all they want, if it's crappu software, I'm not going to use it. And if the software is good, I'll use it regardless of perceived respect (I don't even care if they know who I am).
    vB3 -> vB4 was not a platform change in my mind. No import/export needed, database schema was unchanged for the most part... Could have called it 3.9. vB4 -> vB5 is enough of a change to justify calling it a platform change though.

fattony69 and petertdavis like this.
  11. Carsten

Carsten Regular Member

I purchased a Xenforo license a while back, because I wanted to support them through the tough time they were going through. I have no intention on using it right now, but may for another project in the future.
    I don't plan on buying anymore.

12. fattony69

fattony69 Regular Member

I can't agree with this enough. I don't get how people purchase licenses just to give money/respect.

13. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

Yes, Xenforo did release a security patch quickly. My worry was the unknown. I didn't know what, if any vulnerabilities were floating around out there and if the devs were going to fix it.

As for the respect thing. I won't spend money with a company that doesn't act in the best interests of it's customers and is thumbs their nose at customers. vBulletin will never get another dime of my money. In my opinion, they bungled the vB 4 release. I gave them a second chance with vBulletin 5 and they showed themselves to be just as greedy and incompetent.

Xenforo struck out with when the developers left the community blowing in the wind. I'm willing to give them a second chance mainly because I think they're all decent guys. Maybe there was a gag order in place, maybe not; I won't speculate as it's all water under the bridge now. So long as they're responsive and continue making great software I'll be a customer again. The license extension is a nice gesture by the XF team it shows a respect for their customer base.

14. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    So the sale is on today!
    Then how long does it last, was it 10 days or something?

15. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

I thought it was until the 31st?

16. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    sounds good to me
    I'll most likely pick one up at some point, but it's not really based around the sale.

17. Iconic

Iconic The Original

I bought one yesterday and already have it running.

Brandon likes this.
  18. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Nice, did you do an import or anything or start off fresh?

19. Iconic

Iconic The Original

I imported some stuff, but much really. It wasn't worth it as it was only really a 2 week old starter.

Brandon likes this.
  20. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    It's still nice to go through that process so you know how it goes, it was painless for me.

Iconic likes this.