When do you move threads?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Abomination, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

There are forums for apples, oranges, mangos, and other fruit.

People sometimes don't understand where to put things or just don't care.

If someone puts up a thread that
    1. contains apples + oranges in the other fruit forum -> move to apples or oranges depending on gist of the thread, or split them up?
    2. contains apples + mangos in the oranges forum -> move to apples or mangos depending on gist of the thread, or split them up?
    3. contains mostly apples a small amount of oranges and is in the apple forum, leave it, but then people PM asking for thread splitting.

I'm looking for general guidelines because I need to publish something so the members and staff are on the same page. Right now people like to keep threads where they start them no matter how misfiled things are. I'd like to change that.

2. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Those are some complex scenarios, and although you gave the general idea of what the circumstances are, I really think it should be handled on a case-by-case basis. I am one of the pickiest people when it comes to threads being in the proper forum (again, OCD). It really depends on the gist of the question and what type of responses or answers the post will incite.

3. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Well ok more specifically:
    this forum has the description "Discuss various general aspects and topics of forum and community management". I'm reasonably sure my first post in this thread fits that description.

What if in my first post I also asked a quick technical question about vB such as how to I increase the number of PMs people can have?

What would you do? Delete part of my post and send a PM? Answer the question and advise in the future to start separate threads in the proper category?

If I posted 'when should I move threads on my forum?' and 'how do I increase my members PM box size on my vB forum' in the miscellaneous forum of AA, what would you do?

I need some easily understood words to give my members and mods so they both understand when threads will be moved and why.

4. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Okay, now I see what you mean.

I would simply answer the question and just add a quick note that it should be in its own thread. I wouldn't split/delete/move it.

If it became a habit, I'd have to send a PM explaining that in order to maintain organization and proper placement for ease of location and search by other members, questions and posts need to be kept

I'd move this to the General Community Discussion section and then do the same thing as I said above - mention that the vB question should be in its own thread, in the relevant section.

5. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

While I'm in compete agreement with you I'm still having trouble coming up with a few general words regarding when threads should be moved on my forum for both the members & staff.

Anyone good with words out there? :confused:

6. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

I generally only move threads that are non-DJ related to the pub a closed to guests forum for general discussion. Other than that, if it's DJ related I don't move it out of the public forums.