What is Black-Hat SEO?

Discussion in 'SEO, Traffic and Revenue' started by Kaiser, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

So a lot of people don't exactly know what Black-Hat SEO is so I thought I would share this, so that you can avoid it.

Black Hat search engine optimization is customarily defined as techniques that are used to get higher search rankings in an unethical manner. These black hat SEO techniques usually include one or more of the following characteristics:
    • breaks search engine rules and regulations
    • creates a poor user experience directly because of the black hat SEO techniques utilized on the Web site
    • unethically presents content in a different visual or non-visual way to search engine spiders and search engine users.
    A lot of what is known as black hat SEO actually used to be legit, but some folks went a bit overboard and now these techniques are frowned upon by the general SEO community at large. These black hat SEO practices will actually provide short-term gains in terms of rankings, but if you are discovered utilizing these spammy techniques on your Web site, you run the risk of being penalized by search engines. Black hat SEO basically is a short-sighted solution to a long-term problem, which is creating a Web site that provides both a great user experience and all that goes with that.
    Black Hat SEO Techniques To Avoid
    • Keyword stuffing: Packing long lists of keywords and nothing else onto your site will get you penalized eventually by search engines. Learn how to find and place keywords and phrases the right way on your Web site with my article titled Learn Where And How To Put Keywords In Your Site Pages.
    • Invisible text: This is putting lists of keywords in white text on a white background in hopes of attracting more search engine spiders. Again, not a good way to attract searchers or search engine crawlers.
    • Doorway Pages: A doorway page is basically a “fake” page that the user will never see. It is purely for search engine spiders, and attempts to trick them into indexing the site higher. Read more about doorway pages.
    Black Hat SEO is tempting; after all, these tricks actually do work, temporarily. They do end up getting sites higher search rankings; that is, until these same sites get banned for using unethical practices. It’s just not worth the risk. Use efficient search engine optimization techniques to get your site ranked higher, and stay away from anything that even looks like Black Hat SEO. Here's a few articles that can get you on the road to knowing search engine optimization:
    • Ten Search Engine Optimization Myths - Debunked!: If you're just getting started in search engine optimization for your Web site, you might (unfortunately) have been subjected to a few SEO whoppers. Before you start throwing away your time and money on search engine optimization wild goose chases, read these ten myths of search engine optimization.
    • Top Ten Tips to the Top of the Search Engines: Jill Whalen is a recognized industry expert in search engine optimization. Here are her Top Ten Tips to get your site to the top of the search engines.
    • Ten Steps to a Well-Optimized Site: Want increased website traffic, higher search engine ranking, and increased customer satisfaction? Read these Ten Steps to a Well-Optimized Site and you'll be well on your way to accomplishing these goals.

Ashley.S. likes this.
  2. SpacewardAsh

SpacewardAsh Lurking From Space

First Name:
    Ashley
    Thanks for that Kaiser, I hope this will help me in the road to good SEO :)

Kaiser likes this.
  3. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

No problem Ashley, if you have any questions let me know :)