What do mods get in return?

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by webaficionado, Nov 21, 2012.

1. webaficionado

webaficionado Regular Member

In most sites, moderators are just volunteers. They don't get paid for what they do, but they still do it. What exactly does make them want to keep on being mods? Is it the power over regular members? Is it because they enjoy helping others? Is it because they enjoy having a colored username?

Why do you think YOUR mods are still mods on your site? Have you given anything to them in return (money, prizes, privileges...)?

Brandon likes this.
  2. Jessi

Jessi Regular Member

A better community.

Really, as volunteers, they are just trying to better the community that they love so much. They can clear out spam instead of waiting for me to show up to do it. They can hold a bit of power so when they try to resolve conflict, then they have some klout. They can communicate in a staff forum and know their input is valued and considered.

Brandon, CM30 and cpvr like this.
  3. bauss

bauss Regular Member

@Jessi basically said it all. You don't need to offer moderators any special rewards, because if you have a good forum there will be members interested in becoming a moderator, since they already spend countless hours on your forum.

4. fattony69

fattony69 Regular Member

• Sexual favors
    • Satisfaction of being a mod
    • Gifts for their birthday
    • Gifts for Christmas
    • Sexual favors

cpvr and Jessi like this.
  5. SimplySidy

SimplySidy Website Consultant, Developer and Strategist

I was a mod on a forum some years ago. And I wasnt paid. I enjoyed playing that role just because I could get to contact the senior people who were behind it and also could access to their Technical Segment on the forum which was only for Premium Members. I owe a lot of my knowledge to them and at times, I do wonder, if it was not because of the role I played on that forum, maybe, I would never have been here... :)

6. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Business is business, pleasure is pleasure. But with that being said, I'm always there for my moderators. They know they can contact me with whatever I'll be there for them. I wish I had the money to buy them gifts all the time but I don't. So a friendship works for me.

7. fattony69

fattony69 Regular Member

Not necessarily do I give them gifts that I paid for.

8. Giorgios

Giorgios Regular Member

If they are exceptional and they are producing great feedback and results, the rewards may vary. They may be allowed to have their personal site advertised on the footer/header, or maybe have a special VIP Staff Title that allows them a site email or something of that sort. :)

9. jyri

jyri Regular Member

Mods get experience, satisfaction and exposure. If a moderator says something or links to something, it usually has more significance than what "normal" members say.

I know that people looked up to me much more since I became a moderator on one forum earlier this year.