Was phpBB your first forum?

Discussion in 'phpBB Discussions' started by TSUFanatic, Oct 2, 2012.

1. TSUFanatic

TSUFanatic Regular Member

phpBB was my first forum that I ever used.

2. Iconic

Iconic The Original

phpbb3 was the first forum software I ever used and it served me well.

3. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

Nope, first was whatever old version of IPB Invisionfree was using. I never really used phpbb much, thought the software in general was just pretty average.

4. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Yes, phpbb2 was my first forum if I remember correct.

5. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Same here.;)

6. Creaky

Creaky Regular Member

Yes, started with phpBB2. Still using phpBB3 on one site.

7. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

So, I guess a lot of people start with phpBB? Why is that? Simply because it's the first thing you'll find in Google if you search 'free forum software'?

8. TSUFanatic

TSUFanatic Regular Member

I remember some sports sites I would go on were on phpBB / my friends were staff on the phpBB team.

9. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Regular Member

PhpBB1 was the first forum I started that I hosted myself. The first forum I created and ran though was on proboards and on sever #1 at that! I been doing this for a long time off and on... Too bad I didn't keep one of my first's open all this time and got it active, who knows, I could have a big board about now haha.

10. dojo

dojo Regular Member

If we disregard something on CGI I used on a horrible free forum host, then it's the first for me too. The platform that helped me understand what a forum skin is and how to make one.

11. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman Regular Member

When I used pro boards, I had several forums going :P and here is something funny, I was such a noob back then that I didn't know what threads were, every time I'd make a new topic I though making a board was making a new topic so at one time, I had well over 200 boards which I actually thought were topics within a category... there is something to smile at for a bit, haha.

Brandon likes this.
  12. Severus

Severus Regular Member

It most defintely was!! phpBB gave me an inspiration to start a new forum. Since I was out of cash then, I considered myBB. SMF and phpBB. After doing a little dig up on all fronts, I found phpBB more customizable and decent looking ones out there.!!

13. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

No, I used Invision power board first. I never liked PHPBB at all. I used it once on a business forum that a friend and I sold for a good penny. It was called Discussbiz but the forum never went anywhere which is why we sold it.

14. Ksquall1

Ksquall1 Regular Member

I used phpBB2 as the forum for an e-fed I was managing after being recommended by a friend, but I never started an independent forum with it. I was considering using it or phpBB3 for my upcoming project, but I'm sure. lol

15. Yoshi

Yoshi Regular Member

Yep, it was phpBB 2 on a free forum host. Haven't used any version of phpBB in a long time though.

16. Miner

Miner Forum Theme designer

The first forum theme i created is for phpBB at 2001 and then moved to vB in 2004.

17. Doctor Tech

Doctor Tech Regular Member

The first time I started a forum, I was hesitant on which script to use. But I decided to go with phpBB3 and it served me well.

18. webaficionado

webaficionado Regular Member

I used Forumotion for my first site. It's a free hosting service that has phpBB2-based forums, even though they claim you can choose between phpBB2, phpBB3, IPB (a veeeeeeeeeeeeery old version of IPB, by the way) and punBB. They just have different templates for them but it's all based in phpBB2 files. So, technically, you could say phpBB was the first forum software I've used.

19. bigbigfan

bigbigfan Regular Member

Yes, phpbb was the first forum software I used. I got into it so heavily that I created a bunch of templates and gave those away for free on my site. It was fun and a lot of people used them. unfortunately a new version of phpbb was released that made the old templates obsolete and I stopped designing them.

20. Lairston

Lairston Regular Member

My site original members were originally from a company forums who had a roleplaying community. The company was Crossgen. They had UBB boards originally and then switched to phpbb a few years later.

When crossgen went bankrupt my partner and I used phpbb to start a site called Comic Book Review and we moved the stories to it. CBR eventually turned into qandq. We couldn't keep up the review part. My column I think I only managed a handful of columns over a 1.5 year period.

Eventually I bought vbulletin 4 cause I liked the design.