vBulletin License Sales

Discussion in 'Marketplace and Exchanges' started by AWS, Sep 15, 2012.

1. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    vBulletin 5: We're awaiting clarification on the status of vBulletin 5 transfers, however due to some language in the new license agreement, I wouldn't count on it.

vBulletin 4: vBulletin 4 license transfers are once again being allowed.

2. GTB

GTB Regular Member

So what if you don't live in a country coming under EU, such as USA. Does that mean you can no longer sell a second-hand licence?

3. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    That's exactly what it means. Sounds like it might be a good time for someone in the EU to set up a license brokerage.

4. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Well my way of thinking is, it wouldn't be worth doing. I mean, $45 converts to about £27 UK pounds. Unless you was talking an expensive full vBulletin Suit licence up for sale, frankly it wouldn't be worth bothering trying to sell a vBulletin (forum only) licence to anyone in EU. They only sell for about £50-60 if your lucky, and now you're talking nearly half of that going in transfer cost. This to my mind is going to knock £30 off the value of vBulletin licences sold to people in the EU second-hand. I'm not going to pay somebody for example: £60 + £30 transfer cost for a (forum only licence) - to me it would only be worth £30 buying from somebody now at the very most. £30 buying + £30 transfer, that's the £60 that I would have spent before this came into affect when licence transfers was free.

The seller is going to end-up footing the cost for that, they've just had their vB second-hand licences reduced in value by £27 pounds to EU users.

5. Lizard King

Lizard King Regular Member

This move clearly indicates that , IB wants to kill second hand license market so that they can sell more vB licenses.

6. GTB

GTB Regular Member

That's exactly my view, they've devalued what they are worth second-hand to anybody buying living in EU. Call it a £30 devalue just took place for all vB licence sellers. Nobody selling a vB licence now can expect any person from EU is still going to give them "same price" as before, then go and foot the bill for a £27 transfer fee on-top of it. Na, not going to happen that unless they are really stupid and can't do simple mathematics.

Bottom line, if you're selling a "forum only" license now. Unless you don't mind giving it away for peanuts, you might as well keep hold of it.

7. cory_booth

cory_booth Regular Member

First Name:
    Cory
    But...

Can't you do the deal and turn over your login details?

8. GTB

GTB Regular Member

Hmm, suppose you could thinking about it. Bypass vBulletin completely and just give buyer your account login details, then they change password and email e.t.c. But that does open the flood-gates for getting ripped-off "big time". Most wouldn't take that chance unless they know the seller on a much more personal level and feel they can trust them 100%.

Remember, vBulletin don't get involved if you get ripped off. So if you handed over cash and then seller doesn't give you log-in details. You are to put it bluntly - screwed!

9. David

David Regular Member

Until vBulletin axes the license because thats against the TOS.

10. CallieJo

CallieJo Regular Member

First Name:
    CallieJo
    They are probably sick of doing license transfers. People sell them all the time. Either way, it doesn't affect me since I don't plan on trying to sell my VB licenses. However, if I was planning on it or planning on buying more licenses second-hand....I'd be pissed off! I've only purchased one second-hand license....but that was an IPB license.

I can see this pissing a lot of people off. It's almost like they really don't want to keep customers. Maybe their intentions have always been to kill the competitors off while their own forums run smooth. Just a speculation....after all, they own lots of forums (on VB 3.x last I knew) that compete with their own customer's forums.

11. GTB

GTB Regular Member

It's because that new ruling means "many more licence transfers" will take place most likely in the future, a licence can be sold and transferred more than once (unlike before) now. That means workload at vBulletin will increase greatly in dealing with licence transfers, one way to reduce that from happening is charge people for it, which in affect devalues what a licence is worth second-hand, meaning more people will simply choose to keep and not sell on - because it's not worth selling compared to what they paid for it brand new.

Don't think this will work in IB favour really. I sold my vBulletin "forum only" licence on to another before for £60, who would then have made good use of it. Was worth selling it for that much, but now I could only expect to get half that probably, so wouldn't even waste my time selling same type of forum only licence and IB end-up with a person sitting on a licence not getting used. Simply because second-hand "value" now means, it's really not worth selling on anymore for many, they might as well just sit on it (used or not) forever.

That's my view anyway.

12. David

David Regular Member

It should be updated that vBulletin 4 license transfers are once again being allowed.

They made it a point to say vBulletin 4. I'm awaiting clarification on the status of vBulletin 5 transfers, however due to some language in the new license agreement, I wouldn't count on it.

13. Joeychgo

Joeychgo Regular Member

They have time with vB5 as the old policy requires the original owner possess the license for 90 days.

14. John

John Regular Member

I'm not current on this change, does it apply to licenses in the 3.x branch also?

15. TSUFanatic

TSUFanatic Regular Member

I think so, can anyone clarify this? The original post is updated.